Valve stem seals or turbo?

I'm doing a cold start tomorrow to see if the blue smoke i have been noticing is due to the turbo seals going bad or the valve stem seals popped up. The engine has very low miles (6000miles) and so does the turbo (6000miles) but the turbo is a crappy godspeed turbo. Any ideas on how long it will take for blue smoke to come out of the tail pipe on the supra if its caused by the turbo? Correct me if i'm wrong, because i am pretty sure that the blue smoke should start to appear instantly if it is valve stem seals when i COLD start the engine right?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You don't have to have blue smoke for oil. It can be more black or even more white. And white can also be unburned fuel.

If it smokes only at start up, the cylinder has filled with some oil. It could also be the center cover called "cylinder head cover number 3" by Toyota.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I don't see how "cylinder head cover #3" could cause oil to enter combustion chamber.

I guess if spark plugs are loose and lets oil leak into cylinder at night instead of filling up the "valley" IMO

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
super51fan;2037522 said:
I don't see how "cylinder head cover #3" could cause oil to enter combustion chamber.

Opinions are not needed. If the seal is worn like the cam covers, oil on the top of the head that is hot will pull into a cylinder as the cylinder cools.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
MarkIII4Me;2037643 said:
How did you come to this conclusion?

He made incorrect statements regarding his symptom of smoke at start up, or he is making it up to save face on the internet. Which in and of itself is bizarre, all things considered.

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
You guys are pointing out the obvious again. And I'm trying to start a bitter argument.
Seriously though, op, no one here will judge you for being mistaken or for not understanding how something works. What you will be judged for is trying to hide your ignorance. There are some really knowledgeable people here who will happily take the time to help you. But remember that they do it out of kindness. For free. They will not be happy when their time is wasted.

To set the record straight for the ignorant people commenting on this thread. I DO know my stuff. It DOES smoke BLUE on start up but not at idle. only smokes on start up if i rev to atleast 3k rpm when the supra first turns on in the morning. The problem I am having is that everything is so new on the engine i am so hesitant to start tearing up the cylinder head or the turbo because of lack of knowledge on which part of the engine i actually need to repair... not my lack of knowledge to my supra. the car is my daily driver and i have to have a plan to what im going to tear up and when on a week end. I live in an area of California with a ton of hills and on over run decel in fourth cruising down a large hill for a minute and i press the accelerator i can lay the road out with a good amount of blue smoke. I smoke on acceleration, deceleration, over run, idle when i rev alot no matter if its cold or hot, but do not smoke at idle if i let the tach settle out for a few seconds and it seems like that would be the turbo being hot then cooling down then the smoke goes away at idle?? I cant visually see if I smoke under boost when I accelerate because I have not had a friend follow behind me to see. This weekend I rerouted the PCV system and cleaned the catch can and she still smokes just like the day before I did the work, so its not the PCV system. I also checked in the TSRM and cleaned out the throttle body with carb cleaner and compressed air just like it says. I am still not sure if its the turbo or valve seals, I'd rather lie and just say "i found the problem, its the turbo" than have you guys bicker at me. So please anyone who has pointed out the obvious and tried miserably to make a fool out of me, just stop commenting. to anyone that did comment and helped me out, please fill me in on where to look next and what the diagnosis is. i have my own tools and did a compression test and its pegged at 150 in each cylinder. so she runs like a champ. just smokes like snoop dog on 420 when i overun for atleast ten seconds and lightly touch the accelerator pedal. Also the symptoms started last week and the onset for this condition has gotten REALLY BAD the more i drive it., and if it were piston rings and valve stem seals wouldnt the onset for conditions like this be over a longer period of time and have more build up to this point? because it just started smoking and i have driven about 100 miles this week and she just smokes more and more and more.

In addition to my post above, can I warm up the supra, unbolt the exhaust manifold and the inlet for the hot side of the turbo and start up the supra and see of there is blue smoke coming from the gap I created between the inlet of the hot side and the exhaust manifold? That would narrow down the problem to an engine problem or a turbo problem right?