Valve spring compressor part number or Where to buy one

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
Well, i'm going to be replacing my old valve stem seals but.......as most of you know you CAN NOT use a standard valve spring compressor tool ( unless you distroy a deep well socket )and Toyota does not have a new part number nor do they know where to get one. Has anybody ever purchased/rented one and where did you get it from?

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
I made my own with a large (8"?) C-Clamp and a piece of pvc pipe that I cut with a hacksaw. I was able to sort of stabilize it but it was still not too sturdy. I definitely wore safety goggles. If you have a friend helping you you can do it no problem.

847151789_33aab7c142.jpg

Silvermk2

MkII Weenie
Apr 4, 2005
Stockton, CA
87nasupra said:
Do you know of any others that i can purchase from a store in-town instead of online?

The one I posted is soooo worth the money over the others. You can do it with head on or off and its a cake walk. You can buy it from most of the tool trucks locally, but you'll pay twice the price for the same thing. The trick with it is to use the largest 1/4" socket in it that will fit in the push down part. When you go to install place the keepers in the retainer with some heavy grease. Then use the socket upside down and push down on the retainer while compressing the spring. Then keep holding down on the socket while letting up on the spring. If you do it right it should only take a couple of minutes a valve to reassemble.

Also to make your job easier I'd buy a valve stem seal puller. Its possible to remove them otherwise, but its much easier with one.