vacuum lines

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
well im putting back my motor together, and was wondering if i really need most of the stuff on, reason i ask is because i see most people do FFIM but not use some of the vacuum and the sensor that hangs off the intake mani, that has the 2 coolant lines and one of the big one that goes to the turbo i believe thats the IAC i think its the name, i dont have a problem using it, just thought i can clear some space up.

another thing too is the fuel canister i see most people removing it, i dont do emissions no more, but i seen some people say to leave it and such, i do know that im suppose to change the gas cap i believe to a 2 way, i figured i asked before i do something and then have to mess something up.

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
Heavy D;1526996 said:
another thing too is the fuel canister i see most people removing it, i dont do emissions no more, but i seen some people say to leave it and such, i do know that im suppose to change the gas cap i believe to a 2 way, i figured i asked before i do something and then have to mess something up.

You shouldn't remove your charcoal canister. Yeah, it's common for people who delete it to compensate with a vented gas cap, but the charcoal canister also has a check valve that keeps positive pressure in the fuel tank, to keep your pump from cavitating...

A vented gas cap doesn't address this which is why it isn't an adequate "substitute" for the CC.

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
ight cool, i rather just ask then, go and do it and some thing happens, but as for the lines i know some of them can be removed, i looked thro the tsrm, but i just wanted to see what others has to say

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
Heavy D;1527163 said:
ight cool, i rather just ask then, go and do it and some thing happens

You're right it is definitely better to ask first.

Heavy D;1527163 said:
but as for the lines i know some of them can be removed, i looked thro the tsrm, but i just wanted to see what others has to say

I'm sure you're probably waiting for someone with more experience than me to chime in, but when you say that you "know" some of the lines can be removed, how do you know? Just wondering what makes you say that. In general, you can only remove lines if you remove the components they go to, which is usually a bad idea.

For instance, removing your EGR is probably the most popular choice for "cleaning up" the engine bay. I'm sure some of the lines you are interested in taking out belong to the EGR system. But if you yank it off without somehow adjusting for it in your tune (unfortunately many don't), then you risk running lean/detonation at part throttle under load.

Also, you were talking about removing the ISCV (I think that's what you meant) in your first post. This, too, is something that can't just be taken off without making other accommodations. Actually, a lot of the people who run FFIM's do still make provisions to keep their ISCV (some of the FFIM's are even made ISCV-ready). It can also be re-located and mounted remotely. Even with a standalone, it's a good idea to keep the ISCV.

It sounds like you don't have a FFIM (please correct me if I'm wrong), so relocating the ISCV is probably more trouble than it's worth to you. Yeah, you can just take it off, but you will have idle problems if you do.

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
Bottom line is, Unless your going to do a QUALITY retune you shouldn't remove anything. Everything is put there for a reason and your stock ECU depends on it to run correct. . If you decide to go standalone well then you have ALOT you can remove. JUST make sure whoever is tuning the car knows what they are doing regardless if its piggy back or standalone.