using standalone as a piggyback... pros and cons

-AR-

Sep 16, 2012
FL
I was talking to a shop briefly today about this. From what I understand the stock computer does the best job at handling normal tasks and maximizing fuel economy. The standalone is needed when you've changed parts and need to maximize performance. So would the in between be to run a standalone as a piggyback?

Car/setup is a 87 targa 1jzgte(internally stock) r154, 550s, eBay divided t4 manifold, 60mm holset w/t4 divided Garrett .84 back housing to a 4 inch outlet to 4 inch downpipe/e- cutout to 3 inch all the way back. 4.3 LSD stock rear.

Goal is 475+ whp daily...

In the future (for kill mode)I want to do 264cams, springs, retainers, water injection for 700whp. this is the reason for thinking about a standalone. Already have a afc on the car.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Agreed. How would the switch get made? Would the standalone control fuel and ignition, or just one? The stock ecu does a great job yes and should meet your current goals with just the afc. Then as suggested, go standalone. Because you can tune cruise afr targets and work with timing, your actual able to get better mileage with a stand alone.

Are your 700whp goals on pump gas, or ethanol or racegas and would you switch fuels for the power, or possibly run flex?

The 264's will be the limiting factor unless you go oober big on the turbo. Member 525gte is makin 640whp on E85 with a 1j with 264's at 30psi on a 6262.

edit, what about something like a MAP ecu?

-AR-

Sep 16, 2012
FL
I was unsure if the standalones could be as good stock. I thought they were just necessary for high hp/fuel type tuning. I haven't went to the shop yet to get all the details. I'm going next week when my finals are over.

Looking to make 700whp on 93 and water injection. I have a 68mm turbo(aside from the 60 that od going on now) that could probably take 71mm wheel.

I like the features of map3 but no one down here really tunes it that I heard of. Think I'm going to ms3.

I guess no one on here is running there standalone as a piggy. I didn't even think of it until I spoke them. Going to find out more from them since they planted the seed and report back.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Standalone is exactly that. Why pay so much for all the capabilities it has if you're not going to fully use them? Use like a greddy blue emanage if you just want a piggy back.

As said before, the standalone will be much better than the stock computer due to being able to make changes for the modifications you have made.