USDM ECU to JDM

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
I have a JDM engine running with the EGR removed. My car is a 5spd and has an automatic wiring harness. I did the necessary conversions to make the harness work but.

What I want to do is order a JDM ECU. I found a good condition JDM ECU but it's from an AT. Is it okay to use the JDM AT ECU with my 5spd?

90mkiiisupra400hp

Mar 20, 2011
Gardiner, Maine
I am not positive but I believe the only thing you will have to do is bypass the neutral safety switch other than that it should work fine. Also using the JDM ECU will be better because it is tuned for no egr. I may be wrong on all of this so I would wait for more people to chime in, but I think it's right.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
no real difference. ive ran a at ecu on mt car for years with no probs, and devin is running a mt ecu in a auto car. the tranny has its own computer seperate from the main

only thing is the jdm ecu does have speed limit though (180km/h)

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
Miami, Florida, United States
Its great to know that a A/T JDM ECU can be used with a 5 speed just not the other way around. From what I can see pre-89 supra's have yellow plugs but some post-89 supra also have yellow plugs so be careful.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
There are quite a few differences between AT and MT ECUs, but unless you know what to look for its probably not obvious. Idle control is quite different between them. Also the way they handle trailing throttle is quite different, such as when you change gears in an M/T and close the throttle briefly, the MT ecu goes open loop, the AT will not.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Idle can not be ramped up to compensate for A/C when in drive with the brake on. Or you could hit the car in front of you. Especially the millennials on the board. As an example to what PI said.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
3p141592654;2048271 said:
There are quite a few differences between AT and MT ECUs, but unless you know what to look for its probably not obvious. Idle control is quite different between them. Also the way they handle trailing throttle is quite different, such as when you change gears in an M/T and close the throttle briefly, the MT ecu goes open loop, the AT will not.

Nick M;2048290 said:
Idle can not be ramped up to compensate for A/C when in drive with the brake on. Or you could hit the car in front of you. Especially the millennials on the board. As an example to what PI said.

While these things may be true, I ran an Auto ECU on my 88 "Undead" mk3 for a few thousand miles over a summer and never noticed any hiccups. Idle always seemed good, gear changes were just like normal. :shrug:

While you may have some missing functionality somewhere in the ECU programming it's nothing that would harm the motor or cause daily driving hassles - at least in my experience.