Uphosltery?

1Relentless87

Does anyone know how to remove the front seat upholstery, I just got my hands on a sewing machine and role of leather and I want to use the old upholstery as a pattern.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
It's a major Pita, but you have to remove the rear "storage pouch" from the seats, and the adjustment knob for your seatback angle is held on with a big C-clamp.
Once all of the plastics are off, then you have to fight the glue that holds the fabric on. Take your time, and it should work alright.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Glue? There was no glue on mine. The seat I took apart was cloth, perhaps the leather ones are glued?

You forgot the lever for letting people out of the back seat. That was a PITA to get off.

As for the covering itself, that's pretty easy. You need a big set of wire clippers, it's held on there by hogrings. Just clip them and peel the leather off the top. Took me about 20 minutes to dissassemble the seat, and another 20 to get the cover off.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Hey Grim, I was able to slip the handle through the plastic without removing it...
I disassembled 87 leather seats, so that may be where the difference is...

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
taking it apart was not that bad. i don`t know if i would want to attempt making my own. after looking @ all the stiching, foam-backing, piping and plastic tabs.....PITA. i had a local shop tell me $400 if i brought them the covers and they stiched them up. high grade vinyl w/ cloth inserts.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
The lever for the seat was easy to get off... just beat it off with a rubber mallot. I did with no damage whatsoever. But on another note, I had my mom who has been sewing for a long-long time try to make me a cover... it didn't work out. It was too loose in some spots, and super tight in others. Not that she's perfect, but it's the first/only time I can recall her messing up.

Not sure if it's worse than trying to fab up mounts for those "universal sliders" or not though... Talk about a PITA. Just my $.02.