Upgraded front brakes 300 zx calipers.

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
werewolves182;1109836 said:
What about using 350z track rotors with 95-00 Lexus LS400 4-pot calipers? They go for about $60 +core and almost identical to a MK4 TT caliper.

That's a neat idea, and I'll look into it. However, judging by the strange shape of the calipers, I don't think it will work out very well. They'll most likely require a more complex and costly bracket. If I can get my hands on one for a reasonable price, I'll check it out.

191908.jpg

Collin

disturbed1

Jan 10, 2006
perth
Doward;1109786 said:
I just want to make sure of this.

You guys are working on a kit that puts ~13" (350z) rotors on the MKIII.

The kit uses 300zx calipers, designed for an ~11" rotor?

With pads that don't even bite the rotor completely? I'm confused....

this is with 324mm rotors. im running skyline 4pot fronts and 2 pot rears (324mm front and back) but yet to test thenm out - my supra is about 300ish kg lighter then stock so im expecting good things

as u can see, full pad area contact on rotor but theres a portion of the rotors that gets unused

p1030033te2.jpg

blackgamer16

Supra Driver
Apr 27, 2005
Sooner Country
Doward;1109786 said:
I just want to make sure of this.

You guys are working on a kit that puts ~13" (350z) rotors on the MKIII.

The kit uses 300zx calipers, designed for an ~11" rotor?

With pads that don't even bite the rotor completely? I'm confused....

the 350z rotor is 12.75" And by using the nightpager brackets that makes up the difference of 1.75". With this brake swap; yes its not a 100 percent contact area but still pretty good.

disturbed1;1109984 said:
this is with 324mm rotors. im running skyline 4pot fronts and 2 pot rears (324mm front and back) but yet to test thenm out - my supra is about 300ish kg lighter then stock so im expecting good things

as u can see, full pad area contact on rotor but theres a portion of the rotors that gets unused

p1030033te2.jpg

The Skyline Calipers is an option but creates 3 problems:
1. Very hard to find in the US
2. The actually caliper is bigger than the z32 Calipers- could have clearance issue with 17" wheels
3. The pricetag for those are higher since they have SKYLINE associated with them :biglaugh:

Since Jakespeed made a Rear MK4 TT brake conversion kit-rings and fittings and all a while back. And alot of people said yah i'll buy xx sets and alot of people fell thru. And left him with a bunch of sets and took him a few years to get rid of em. I think its fair to Collin and his machinist that we get xxx amount of people, pay certain amount of deposit/ or in full. Before we started- this will for sure leave us with the serious poeple that won't back out. Hows that sound to everyone else?

got_boosted

Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
blackgamer16;1110066 said:
Since Jakespeed made a Rear MK4 TT brake conversion kit-rings and fittings and all a while back. And alot of people said yah i'll buy xx sets and alot of people fell thru. And left him with a bunch of sets and took him a few years to get rid of em. I think its fair to Collin and his machinist that we get xxx amount of people, pay certain amount of deposit/ or in full. Before we started- this will for sure leave us with the serious poeple that won't back out. Hows that sound to everyone else?

I like this idea a lot as it covers my ass financially a little bit instead of digging a hole and expecting to be able to sell them and dig my ass back out. :)

I take it that this means you're still willing to let me borrow your kit?

I'll talk to my machinist Monday and see if I can get any idea of what this might cost and how long it might take. Once I have a basic idea of what my operating cost will be to produce 10 or so sets, I'll look into arranging it like a group buy.

Once again, this is for the "nightpager" brackets and required spacers to use 300ZX calipers with 350Z track rotors. Who's interested?

Collin

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
blackgamer16;1110066 said:
The Skyline Calipers is an option but creates 3 problems:
1. Very hard to find in the US
2. The actually caliper is bigger than the z32 Calipers- could have clearance issue with 17" wheels
3. The pricetag for those are higher since they have SKYLINE associated with them :biglaugh:
i had a set of r32 caliper's and they were identical to the new reman's from advanced auto.i don't know how much your caliper's were,but i paid $75 with a $25 core charge.i keep reading people saying the caliper's are big money,they must not have priced them.$210 for two caliper's with hardware out the door is cheap in my book.

blackgamer16

Supra Driver
Apr 27, 2005
Sooner Country
tsuper92;1111458 said:
i had a set of r32 caliper's and they were identical to the new reman's from advanced auto.i don't know how much your caliper's were,but i paid $75 with a $25 core charge.i keep reading people saying the caliper's are big money,they must not have priced them.$210 for two caliper's with hardware out the door is cheap in my book.

The skyline calipers actually have a bigger housing and i am pretty sure they have lil bit bigger pistons as well. But their mounting tabs locates the rotor a lil further back than the 300zx calipers. And If you put both calipers together you can see the difference. Went thru this when i did my 300zx brake swap, buddy of mine bought skyline calipers- I bought the 300zx calipers (150and 12 dollars shipping) and we compared.

If you just do a basic search on ebay- the difference in price is noticeable for skyline calipers compared to 300zx calipers. And if you really want a definitive answer just check freshalloy.com. They have all the nissan answers you'll need

But yah Collin, I have no problem letting you borrow all the parts. Satan already chipped in on the shipping hopefully i can get a couple more but if not oh well- just let me know. Am guessing we got atleast 4-5 people and hopefully more will chime in.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Sorry guys... been out of town....

I am in for a set or two (Lexus or 300z) for a front BBK. Rears also, if I can keep the parking brake.

As far as using 1 machinist... I believe if the dimensions for these pieces are put into CAD or similar, you can send out for bid and see if there is a place that may do them for even less.

So, knowing what a PITA it is to get others to pay up, let's capture the dimensions/measurements and look at as many free options for quotes as possible. Having a local machinist has it's advantages, but this is another option to explore.

oowee623

SCS
Aug 13, 2007
Long Beach, CA
my friend has a 240sx and has a set of R32 calipers and Infiniti Q45 calipers, side by side looks like they bolt up the same except the Q45 calipers are smaller with 2 pistons instead of 4 but still bigger than stock mk3 calipers.

got_boosted

Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Satan;1111517 said:
Sorry guys... been out of town....

I am in for a set or two (Lexus or 300z) for a front BBK. Rears also, if I can keep the parking brake.

As far as using 1 machinist... I believe if the dimensions for these pieces are put into CAD or similar, you can send out for bid and see if there is a place that may do them for even less.

So, knowing what a PITA it is to get others to pay up, let's capture the dimensions/measurements and look at as many free options for quotes as possible. Having a local machinist has it's advantages, but this is another option to explore.

I've got a pretty good hookup in Socal, but I'm doing what I can to find other options for comparisons. Once again, I'll be calling him Monday. Once I know more, you guys will know more, and we can get things rolling.

For now I'm only producing the "nightpager" kit. However, once I have a working relationship with this shop, I should be able to get whatever I want made. I have a few other brake setups that I want to try out, and some upgraded rear brakes are definately on my list. I could have read wrong, but don't stock MKIV TT rear brakes bolt up?

Collin

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
got_boosted;1112024 said:
I have a few other brake setups that I want to try out, and some upgraded rear brakes are definately on my list. I could have read wrong, but don't stock MKIV TT rear brakes bolt up?

Collin
yes and no.you would need to drill out the mkIII hub to accept the caliper bolt's.then you need to shim the mkIV rotor out to center it between the pad's.the mkIV rotor's arent hub centric either.i ended up pressing the mkIV hub's into my mkIII hub carrier's,which solved this problem.
a pic of mine

p1112072_1.jpg

jake's kit for the rear
p1112072_2.jpg

rusty mkIII hub and mkIV hub
p1112072_3.jpg

p1112072_4.jpg

wesbeech

Beech Performance Motorsports
Feb 26, 2006
Akron Ohio
tsuper92;1112072 said:
yes and no.you would need to drill out the mkIII hub to accept the caliper bolt's.then you need to shim the mkIV rotor out to center it between the pad's.the mkIV rotor's arent hub centric either.i ended up pressing the mkIV hub's into my mkIII hub carrier's,which solved this problem.
a pic of mine

Ok but what size wheel can fit over it? Not a 15 im sure.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
got_boosted;1111423 said:
Once again, this is for the "nightpager" brackets and required spacers to use 300ZX calipers with 350Z track rotors. Who's interested?

Collin

No thanks. The swept area is not a real improvement over stock. Having 4 pistons pushing on the pads just means it squeezes harder, heating up very fast and only on 80% of the rotor at that.

I'm currently designing/building a kit with 13" (330mm) rotors + calipers actually designed for 13" rotors, so I'll get a full bite area. Also, the pads are at least 2x the size of those little Nissan ones.

Always good to see more innovation, however! Good luck :)

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I'm still in for getting them reproduced. If there is not enough interest here, then at least get all of the components together and get the CAD files made for each custom piece.

Maybe we can eventually get lucky enough with a group member who can fab 'em up for us and make them financially appealing. It is an upgrade, but not very attractive if the cost is near to an already-available (better?) kit.

twinturbozs

Apr 4, 2005
san francisco
The problem with making the adapters, you need to make quite a few sets, i would imagine 40-50 to really make it worth your time. But then, it would probably take 2-3 years to sell them off.

You guys should ask 935motorsports, hes the first one to replicate these adapters, i doubt he would do it again.

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
twinturbozs;1113805 said:
The problem with making the adapters, you need to make quite a few sets, i would imagine 40-50 to really make it worth your time. But then, it would probably take 2-3 years to sell them off.

You guys should ask 935motorsports, hes the first one to replicate these adapters, i doubt he would do it again.

I've heard that also, howeve there are quite a few people willing & ready to make this happen, to include me. Thanks.

got_boosted

Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Talked to my machinist. What I'm hearing is good. :)

blackgamer16: Once I firm things up, I'm going to ask that you ship just the brackets directly to the machinist. I can give you his address via PM. He will then be able to draw a CAD model to clone the brackets exactly. Once I have a production cost for the brackets, we (all who are interested) can decide whether or not this is going to work. If we want to go along with it, I'll have him ship the original brackets back to me. Then if you can ship the rest of your parts to me I can mock it up and measure for the spacer rings. The rings will be made on a lathe and the cost should be very reasonable.

Collin

wesbeech

Beech Performance Motorsports
Feb 26, 2006
Akron Ohio
got_boosted;1116593 said:
Talked to my machinist. What I'm hearing is good. :)

blackgamer16: Once I firm things up, I'm going to ask that you ship just the brackets directly to the machinist. I can give you his address via PM. He will then be able to draw a CAD model to clone the brackets exactly. Once I have a production cost for the brackets, we (all who are interested) can decide whether or not this is going to work. If we want to go along with it, I'll have him ship the original brackets back to me. Then if you can ship the rest of your parts to me I can mock it up and measure for the spacer rings. The rings will be made on a lathe and the cost should be very reasonable.

Collin

Sounds good to me.