UPDATED: Smog issues JUST PASSED

bsupra

Oct 1, 2006
California
BEFORE

p1697129_1.jpg

Any ideas.... the technician said timing... I really smell the fuel also.... Really dont know how to adjust timing on 7m-gte's....

AFTER

p1697129_2.jpg

I was surprised on how much an O2 sensor could change the smog. No more scent of gasoline.. Thanks for everybody's input..

Last edited:

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Adjusting timing will not solve this issue.

The technician is a bonehead, timing is to be checked by the technician, on all cars where timing is adjustable.

As to solving the issue, the car is not in fuel control. Pulling codes would be a start. Whats the O2 voltage?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It is kind of odd timing wasn't checked since that's part of the test protocol. Agree with chip though, definitely not in fuel control.

I notice this car has a 100% pass history all the way back to '97 including the last two times at the same station in Chula Vista. Curious as to why this is a change of ownership test...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Kai;1697177 said:
Pulling codes would only be relevant if the check engine light were on. It's worth him CHECKING the timing at the very least.

Not all codes turn the CEL on. It's worth a shot to see if it has any saved codes.

Agreed on the tech being a bonehead (hell, I always have to show them how to get the ignition probe on my car)

I also have to chuckle at the "GROSS POLLUTER" label. Only in Kali...

bsupra

Oct 1, 2006
California
Back in 2007 and 2009, the car had a good smog report. The test was done in chulavista CA. Ive been smelling fuel before but I had an exhaust leak on the exhaust manifold at that time... I took it to kaizan to get it fixed for good cause they had to put new threads on the block. kaizen did a good job and fixed it...

But nowI moved to murrieta and I had to find another smog test only station... I was expecting failure. The technician told me that he could not check the timing because the spark plugwires were covered. I just wondered how they checked it before...

As for the O2 sensors, I have no idea, not yet... How many does it have?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Next time tell him to check it using #6. The car has one O2 sensor. Btw, had you installed one of those "useless" light show displays you'd have known exactly when this happened and could have gotten right on it...

koldfire08

Jul 5, 2009
Las Vegas
Okay, are you running 7MGTE and do you have an aftermarket BOV?

Just as a note, i've been at a smog shop for 2+ years and a Referee teacher as a resource.