Unsure of Overheating Cause

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
So my buddy showed up with a laser thermometer. We determined that the car is NOT actually overheating. I bought and installed a cheap mechanical temp gauge with the sensor where the BVSV used to be as confirmation. Idle temps were at 200, moving temps 190. Given my thermostat is set to OEM temp of 195... this is perfectly normal. My problem is now to find out what is causing my gauge to read incorrectly. How 'bout that for a twist...

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I thought the rubber mounts were to isolate from the frame to prevent galvanic corrosion. If you were to ground the radiator to the chassis then that would defeat the purpose of the rubber mounts wouldn't it. I've been doing a little research on the google. I'm coming up with about half the people grounding them, and the other half saying it's not advised to. Some people are claiming newer vehicles and grounding them. I"ll have to check on that. I don't recall our Supras having ground straps to the radiator from the factory. Seems like some misinfo going around. Not sure which part is misinfo, but I'm going to run my radiator as I believe how it came from the factory.

SeeUSmile

Nov 22, 2012
Australia,Victoria,Melbourne
If this was the stock gauge, my bro's one had some funny yellow colored like as if oil and water mixed/corrosion building up around the area where the gauge sensor was threaded in which I believed was causing the spikes. Had an aftermarket temp gauge which was stable so wasn't until after swapping the whole water neck the spikes on the stock temp gauge stopped.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Nick M;2076589 said:
That is part of the problem. It brings up the bullshit even faster.

Interesting youtube vid. I don't think google would be biased on whether or not to ground a radiator. I have personal experience from pulling radiators from 1988 to current and haven't seen one grounded from the factory. But lastest year model was an '05. They may ground them now, but why?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I almost forgot. Ethyl alcohol and glycol oxidize and becomes acidic. Inhibitors help. But it still happens. And with an iron block and aluminum head in an acidic solution, you now have a battery. If for some reason you still run Toyota factory red, change it according to the service schedule.

Perhaps some of that is review. Great. Put 2 and 2 together.