Unsure of Overheating Cause

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
I have an issue with my coolant gauge spiking hot at the beginning of a drive and then stabilizing at hotter than normal temps the rest of the drive (about 1-2 notches above horizontal). Some history:

The issue began a month or so ago and I don’t recall anything happening that could have triggered it. It started with it idling fine, but after several minutes, the temps would start to rise to several notches above normal, and then fall back to normal (2-3 notches below horizontal) for the rest of the day regardless of how much the car is driven or rested etc. Eventually the temp spike started to occur later, it would only rise soon after the beginning of a drive (no matter how it’s driven) for a few seconds and fall RAPIDLY back to normal temp. I used to think this meant an electrical problem as there was no way coolant temps could drop that quickly, but then I learned that the OEM temp gauge doesn’t show actual temps. It will rapidly rise up when coolant temps exceed a certain point.

My cooling setup was as follows: TRD 1.3 bar rad cap, Koyo aluminum radiator, 10 degree lower temp thermostat, all fan shrouds 100% intact, OEM clutch fan, OEM underbody panel, heater control valve locked open because it’s broken, ISCV and TB coolant passages bypassed, OEM CT26 with factory coolant lines.

Engine setup: Cometic MHG with ARP studs torqued to 95ftlbs. Eagle rods, JE Pistons. Stock head, turbo, injectors, AFM & housing. COP conversion operating in wasted spark like stock. Boost spikes to 14psi max, fuel cut normally hits around 10-12psi.

This setup gave me rock steady temps for almost 2 years.

Motor is healthy as far as I know, latest compression test was after this issue started and it was 175 +/- 1-2 psi across the board with the engine cold. Comp test before that was done a few months before and was performed correctly with motor warmed up and that was 180 +/- 1-2 psi across the board. I am not losing any coolant, there is no boiling when the car is shut off and coolant is not being pushed out of the rad cap or overflow reservoir. Oil is clean, and coolant is free of oiliness. I tested the clutch fan by attempting to stop it with the engine running, and there was strong resistance. My uncle (a Ferrari tech for the Scuderia Corsa GTD team at the time) performed the same test and said it felt fine. I also swapped on a brand new radiator cap set at OEM pressure with zero change.

As such I thought I had a sensor or electrical problem, so this week, I replaced the thermostat with a new OEM temp one as well as brand new ECU temp sender and coolant temp gauge sender. During the burping process, the car ran for a little less than I wanted to since I was low on gas, so only about 5 minutes after getting to operating temp (1-2 notches below horizontal), where it stayed the entire burping process. I made it about two miles from home before the temps shot rapidly up, almost to red (about 1-2 notches below red, much higher than before) for a few seconds before falling back down, but this time much higher than it used to, 1-2 notches above horizontal. I made it to the gas station and back with temps not rising any higher or going any lower. One strange thing to note is that with the key in the ‘on’ position, the temp gauge would read normal (1-2 notches below horizontal) and would only rise to hot when the car was started. I performed two more test drives that night, each time the temps would spike almost to red a couple minutes after driving for a few seconds before falling rapidly back to 1-2 notches above horizontal. Note the difference where before it would only spike once a day on the first drive.

So I am stumped and have no idea what could be causing this issue. Someone suggested a clogged radiator. Bad clutch fan was already addressed and tested. Water pump was suggested as well, but the symptoms for that tend to be more obvious. Some think I might just have a fucked up coolant temp gauge, I have no way to test that. I will be performing a lengthy burping tomorrow morning (30+ minutes with the nose to the sky) and will report back, but I don't envision this helping as I already tried a lengthy burping to fix it when the issue first started. I am open to suggestions and anyone that has personal experience with similar issues.

Thanks for reading.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Any coolant loss? You can rent a pressure tester from an auto parts store and see what the results are. I would consider removing the radiator and clean it. While it's out clean any debris that might be between the radiator and condenser.
Btw, do you still have rubber isolator mounts on the radiator?

And what are you doing up so damn early, or late?

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
This use to happen to my car. After driving for 10 - 15 min the temp would keep going up until I'd have to pull over. I'd wait 10 min restart the car and after a min outta no where the guage would drop back down and stay where it should be for the rest of the day. My thermostat was not opening like it should and I believe it was the result of air in the system. Once your temp guage spikes pop the the hood and carefully touch the top of the radiator....if it's scalding hot your thermostat is not opening. After I would restart my car I could literally tell exactly when mine would open as the radiator would feel much cooler. I know u said you got a new thermostat but I tried several before this problem was corrected.

Last edited:

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
No coolant loss, none at all lol. Yeah the rubber is all still there, and I make certain there is no contact between the radiator and body. I just came back from a mini Supra meet lol, but they were all MK4 guys... not very helpful LOL

That was very helpful actually as it sounds exactly like my issue. I'll perform said test and see what happens. I posted this on SF as well, and someone was saying to try a different, better type of thermostat. I'm going to look around for something better than the rockauto special lol. The new one I just put in was a Gates 195 degree tstat.

About the drive, nothing special. The spikes happen regardless of how the car is driven, like a grandma and out of boost under 3k rpm, or like a bat out of hell, it spikes always around the same time, a couple minutes or so after driving has begun.

Thanks for all the input guys, it's much appreciated.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Boost is not relevant, airflow from going 15 mph and going at a light steady cruise at 65 mph are completely different. That is a huge amount of airflow over the heat exchanger.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
OK I see what you were trying to get at, mostly under 50mph, I rarely ever jump on a highway within a couple minutes of driving. Call it an OCD thing lol. However new breakthrough: and I feel stupid. But as I was trying to burp the car, I decided to test the clutch fan again. Resistance was minimal, so low that I was able to bounce the fan the other direction. I took a video and my buddy said he couldn't hear the fan for shit when I revved the motor up. That moment when it never occurred to me that a clutch fan can go bad within a month haha. Just placed my order for a brand new Aisin unit for 89+ MK3s. I'm not surprised given that it's almost the very last mechanical part still left from the original JDM motor that was swapped in 6 years ago. We'll see how things go with the new clutch! Y'all can go ahead and *facepalm now.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
You can refill the fan "clutch" with new silicone oil. The oil oozes out over time. If the front is all gooey and covered in dirt, that's definitely your problem.

Also, it should blow lots of air for almost 30 seconds after you start the car after it has been sitting for a while. It takes that long for the oil to distribute and "release" the fan.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Turns out it wasn't the clutch fan as I replaced that, car was warmed up and was burping it, revving it up every now and then and after 10 minutes or so it started to overheat again. Buddy told me to check for cool spots on the radiator and lo and behold the far right side of radiator end tank was much cooler than the rest. Next step is to pull the radiator and have it cleaned.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
lithium14;2076118 said:
Next step is to pull the radiator and have it cleaned.

I bought a new one being that mine was 23 years old. No over heating, but I didn't want to wait. $500 with discount and when it showed up I came unglued. Nippondenso, but made in China. I don't care that it is made in China. Fine, then correct the price. This Supra I own is the last Toyota I buy. Unless all the jackass Americans that work for Toyota Motor Sales in California are fired for being dipshits.

My point, be careful buying a new one. Many here have had fitment issues with non Toyota radiators.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Mine is a Koyo, not sure why it would go bad, but the new one coming in is a Koyo as well. Aluminum 3 core. I think I might have parts of the frame contacting the radiator which might be causing corrosion inside the radiator, but I'm not certain.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Installed the new radiator today and made extra precautions to ensure it doesn't contact the frame or anything. I'm still not certain as to why the radiator has to be isolated even though it's still grounded. And if it's NOT supposed to be grounded, then I still have issues. Is it just for vibration damping?

I ran water through the old radiator and a ton of crap came out, definitely clogged. Now I'm trying to figure out where the crap came from and why. A possibility is my coolant just got old somehow and degraded into an acidic mix, not sure how, it's not that old. I'm gonna get a PH tester from HEB and find out. Another one is I actually have a ton of stray voltage getting into the coolant system, in which case I need to test for that and find all the bad grounds that might be the culprit. Not sure if there are other possibilities, but I'm open for suggestions.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
New radiator made no difference, same problem as before. Next up is to check the water pump. I'm starting to become very aggravated.

To double check, a good fan clutch should have fairly strong resistance when you try to stop it with the car running and engine hot, right?

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
My new fan failed the newspaper testing procedure as described on this site: http://www.mwrench.com/Whitepapers/FanClutchtest.pdf and most of you know how loud a MK3s clutch fan is... I can't remember the last time I could hear it locking up. Doesn't help that my downpipe ends all of two feet from the turbo. I have ANOTHER new fan clutch on the way via warranty and I'm going to pull my water pump to check its health as well. I took my old fan clutch apart and the oil wasn't as thick as I though it should be... I'd say around the consistency of white Elmer's Glue.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Don't grab the fan, pulleys, belts or anything else while it is running. I work in automotive. I know too many people who have 9.5 fingers. You should be able to feel airflow with the hood up, no questions asked.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
The silicone oil inside the fan coupler is thick, as in 1000 cSt thick. I guess it would be like Elmer's glue. If there's not enough of it, the coupler won't work.

The easy test is to start the car cold. The fan should whoosh vigorously for about 30 seconds before quieting down. You should also hear it at stop lights when the weather is hot. Sounds like a truck...

I only run distilled water + Toyota Red. Distilled water is cheap enough.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Make sure your condenser flows air and is not plugged. If you have a condenser. A few degrees adds many BTUs.

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If the fan is moving slow enough to grab it while engine is getting hot your clutch is bad. And a 7m fan will always lock up when engine is cold right away and the unlock after a little bit of running and the lock and unlock as it supposed to after that depending on temp.

If your engine is getting hot and then over heating at idle then you do not have enough air flow which is fan related