Unpleasant boost smell? Help!

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Hey, I have a 89 supra turbo. The exhaust flange gaskets have been replaced. there are no exhaust leaks on the piping. nor are there any known leaks coming from the exhaust manifold or turbo area as the smell does not seem to be present at idle or when the throttle is pressed. However when cruising down the road and im slowly building boost I start to smell a unpleasant odor coming from the outside of the vehicle, MOSTLY strong when the windows are open, but when they are closed and the vent is in FRESH mode not recirc there is no smell at all, where could the leak be coming from, it smells very bad. any help would be appreciated, thank you!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Dp to turbo gasket good and not leaking? exhaust manifold studs not ripping out? No old gaskets in the rest of the exhaust? Scrapege?

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Bump! Wouldnt a cracked housing or manifold have a loud exhaust note and heat in the engine bay? The car sounds fine and no other smells around the car during idling, i just notice it when im slowly starting to build boost, no other visible looking cracks on the exhaust manifold housing/turbo area. Anything else to check?

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
take the cat off and see if the smell goes away. usually a rotten egg or sour fuel smell is due to a failing cat. The reason it'd do it more under boost is because the computer dumps more fuel, and the boost pressure increases EGT's. The combination super heats the cat and makes it stink worse.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
i ran a straight pipe before getting a cat system. it has the same smell, thats why im leaning towards the fact it may not be exhaust leak, cos the car has a unstable idle at times, maybe intake or boost leak?

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
bump anyone? I replaced the exhaust manifold gasket,manifold to turbo, o2 sensor gasket, downpipe to elbow and catalytic converter (test pipe) gaskets im still smelling the exhaust leak, I did not see any cracks or warpage on the flanges in any way im literally stumped, i took it to various shops they could not identify where it was coming from, with cat or without it smells the same, and is worse when im boosting. Hope someone out there could help me pinpoint the problem...