Unorthodox Racing Flywheel

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Yeah, that's a small blessing. I have an Aasco? aluminum it the car now
and with my new build I was thinking of changing to either a Fidanza or
an Unorthodox, the Unorthodox is almost twice as expensive as the Fidanza
and I was wondering why such a price difference. Basically is it twice as good.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
SWD Fredester 3;1181780 said:
Yeah, that's a small blessing. I have an Aasco? aluminum it the car now
and with my new build I was thinking of changing to either a Fidanza or
an Unorthodox, the Unorthodox is almost twice as expensive as the Fidanza
and I was wondering why such a price difference. Basically is it twice as good.

Well the steel insert allows me to run a feramic clutch and not weld the crap out of it unlike aluminum. As for better, no such thing. It is all dependant on the application.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
figgie;1182279 said:
Well the steel insert allows me to run a feramic clutch and not weld the crap out of it unlike aluminum. As for better, no such thing. It is all dependant on the application.
Thanks for the info, what type of clutch are you using? This build should produce between 550 and 600 RWHP, I almost bought an Unorthodox a few years ago and didn't, this time I'm going to install one. Appreciate the feed back. -Fred

heyitsdatguy

loser.....
Jan 9, 2007
Mira Mesa,CA
Well, I learned something new today. I didn't know that Unorthodox made flywheels for MKIII's. I have a Fidanza with an exedy clutch, I like it.

- Dawly

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
if your going to shoot for such high numbers why not just get a multi plate disc? that way you dont ever have to worry about it again, or whether or not your making too much power on a certain setup.

the cost into that much over a aftermarket setup, and it will surely hold the power and not ruin the thrust washers or make your left leg grow.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Rennat;1182544 said:
if your going to shoot for such high numbers why not just get a multi plate disc? that way you dont ever have to worry about it again, or whether or not your making too much power on a certain setup.

the cost into that much over a aftermarket setup, and it will surely hold the power and not ruin the thrust washers or make your left leg grow.
I was thinking of staying with UR and using their 6 puck Feramic Race Pro
clutch, at least it "sounds" fairly user friendly. I have also talked to Rich
at SIP about the Spec twin disc clutch kit, that is around $1800. My only question on that is what I read some where on here about those being hard on transmissions. Either way I've got some time on the clutch, just want to get the flywheel so the crank can be spin balanced with that and the ATI damper.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Rennat;1182616 said:
jscspeed.com has it for 1637... so thats a nice cut from the price.

im suprised its so much through rich... he normally has the best prices on everything.
Hey, thanks for the tip, at least I can bounce that # off of Rich to see what he can do. Already planning on having him do the Niteride and spin balancing, along with some other parts-TMS billet main caps etc. so maybe the #'s can be adjusted a bit. At this point I'm still up in the air about the clutch but it would be nice to have something fairly bullet proof if such a thing exists.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Rotating assembly needs to be individually zero balanced (ATI dampener already is) as if you replace the flywheel or dampener, the entire engine will need to be torn apart.

These engines are internally balanced.

Anyway, feramic clutch + lightweight flywheel = welded clutch disk to flywheel...

Suprafast0422

Nov 14, 2006
Maryland
So its a bad idea to put a lightweight fly on a new build if you dont get the crank balanced? will it definatly cause problems or is there just the possibility?

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Poodles;1182913 said:
Rotating assembly needs to be individually zero balanced (ATI dampener already is) as if you replace the flywheel or dampener, the entire engine will need to be torn apart.

These engines are internally balanced.

Anyway, feramic clutch + lightweight flywheel = welded clutch disk to flywheel...
I know that about the crank balancing. Rich wants the flywheel and ATI along
with the rod weights and piston w/ rings weights for the spin balancing.
The UR flywheel has a steel insert which allows figgie to run a Feramic clutch. I was making a decision based on that info, along with just liking UR products.
Still thinking about the Spec twin also.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I don't know of any aluminum flywheels that don't have a steel insert...

The steel insert get hot enough and ends up welding to the clutch disk because it can't transfer the heat to the aluminum fast enough.

Rich knows what he's doing though, so I'd trust him.