Unfinished Exhaust Upgrade-Need Advice

suprajim

Mar 11, 2008
ga
I own a 1989 7M-GTE with a 3” downpipe and a LIPP turbo elbow. Both cats have been removed, leaving the stock resonator and muffler. The section of pipe between the resonator and muffler is flat on the bottom; it does not have a round cross-section.

What should I do to complete the upgrade of the exhaust system while maintaining a reasonable noise level and the stock look with two tailpipes?

Should I get a complete catback system or just replace the muffler with a Borla or HKS (both have models that look like the stock one)? Also, is the flattened sections of pipe normal or is it more likely that the previous owner bottomed out?

Thanks for all responses

Attachments

• 100_0431.jpg
    100_0431.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_0433.jpg
    100_0433.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 29

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
PO likely bottomed out.

Go to an exhaust shop, bring along your muffler of your choice (and resonator if desired). Tell them that you want a 3" exhaust with said muffler (and resonator if you opted out for one). Have them weld it up and install it. Voila! You have new catback. It will probably be a bit louder due to the greater I.D. of the piping

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
^it completely depends on the muffler choice.

You may find you like it w/o a resonator. The muffler you choose may be too loud and you will want one. Its more of a personal choice.

Mine does not have one, however my muffler is very quiet (old HKS dragger/super dragger not sure which) but still very throaty> personally its my favorite of any supra exhaust i've heard since i don't like to get a headache when i drive b/c of how loud it is.

877m

Feb 10, 2009
Lewiston, NY
suprajim;1359842 said:
Can you recommend a good one?

i got a custom 3inch from my turbo back no resinators no nothing its god loud but i am also young and like it but its not bad in the car but i do have my car dynomatted my buddys say they can feel it when i pass them. its 100percent worth it the power is great. i got a pretty big tip coming out at a 45 degree to get that drift look and its nice. and that flattined piece near the back is from the factory. but yes even if you want to up a resinator in there or even like a mufler i 3inch is totally worth the money.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
RSR full 3" catback. JDM tyte. I got an old skool blitz nur (almost like the Greddy World Sport) muffler that I will be putting on and the RSR is coming off( Don't want a ticket for modified exhaust).

suprajim

Mar 11, 2008
ga
After much research in to Mufflers, Resonators and all else, I went with the HKS LET-T16 from Driftmotion. It is a full 3" catback system with resonator whick added about 30 hp and 2 PSI boost (with 3" downpipe and LIPP turbo elbow). Install was great....took about 15 minutes. Bolted right up and the three hangers were in the right places.

Attachments

• Onbox1.jpg
    Onbox1.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 18