Under Carriage Coating - Rust Prevention?

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
Hey guys, I just got my first Toyota Supra. Its a 1988 Targa 5sp Turbo with 105,000 miles, completely stock. The under carriage has minimal to no rust (pretty much none) and I'd like very much to keep it that way. This is my daily driver (somewhat) cause I'm in college but don't need to drive to school everyday (I can take a bus). But I drive to malls/stores when needed and during the winter I'm really worried about it rusting due to snow/salted roads. As a result, I was thinking to have the under body sprayed with a rust proof coating to combat against rust.

I would like to know of any advice you guys can offer and if this idea is worth it. Or maybe I should simply not drive during the winter. So yea....any advice for a noobie here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Areas prone to ruse are the rear wheel arches especially around the shock tower, and the spare tire well in the hatch. You would be better off focusing on those two areas than spraying the underside. Best thing to do is pull the inside trim out of the hatch area and inspect the rear arches. Rust will be obvious.

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
Yea, thats right! Thanks! I would have forgot about the rear wheel arches especially, the spare tire well. I've seen countless Mk3's with rust in those areas. But it can't hurt to coat the underside too though, right?