Um, yeah. tap, tap?

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
My tranny is doing the samething ..... if you press the clutch to the floor it goes away. I am replacing the trannny b/c i had the clutch and the pressure plate inspected. At the same time i replaced the pilot and throwout bearing and the sound was still there.

Dont drive it.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Rich, I may be going in the wrong direction but the same thing happend to a customer of mine that had a fairly new WRX.

It only had 20-30,000 miles on it, and we were all convinced it had RK.

Turns out that what we were hearing was a broken throw out bearing. DOH!

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
MDCmotorsports said:
Rich, I may be going in the wrong direction but the same thing happend to a customer of mine that had a fairly new WRX.

It only had 20-30,000 miles on it, and we were all convinced it had RK.

Turns out that what we were hearing was a broken throw out bearing. DOH!

Timing/frequency - you know how forged pistons sound when you first start the motor... It's pretty close to that but not the same sound. It's deeper and less metallic.

Jon - I don't think you're too far off but when it's 'tapping' the engine feels out of balance and you can feel it in the shifter and the body of the car. I don't think a TO bearing would do that. It's a new Toyota TO bearing with 2,000 miles on it. The trans has a preexisting problem (doesn't shift @ high RPM) but I'm very suspect of the flywheel & clutch area because that's where the sound seems to be coming from. I really doubt this is from the engine and it's probably not rod knock. I'm waiting for the sound to come back again so I can see if putting pressure on the TO bearing changes the sound. I do know that as soon as the engine starts to pick up RPM, the sound and lumpyness goes away.

Hmmm... I had Jeff T. on the phone when driving it home and I told him "It's tapping and it feels like I tossed a PP bolt (meaning the motor felt out of balance)". I wonder if the damn flywheel could have come loose! (New Toyota FW & I red locktighted the bolts :3d_frown: ). Might have shifted a pad from the disk or have found out why RPS decided to rivet their PP.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Hey Rich - Just wanted to let you know my opinion pretty much mirrors what JJ had to say about oil. RP is over priced for what it is and Pennzoil Platinum is the Group III oil that is changing my view as well concerning syn oils...it is very good. Just had a thread on this subject:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45452

RP is also at the bottom of my list for the "true syn" oils...Pennzoil Platinum would work very well for you.

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
jdub said:
Hey Rich - Just wanted to let you know my opinion pretty much mirrors what JJ had to say about oil. RP is over priced for what it is and Pennzoil Platinum is the Group III oil that is changing my view as well concerning syn oils...it is very good. Just had a thread on this subject:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45452

RP is also at the bottom of my list for the "true syn" oils...Pennzoil Platinum would work very well for you.

Thanks for the clarification jdub.

Once I get the car up on stands, I will be able to pinpoint the problem and remove the bellhousing inspection covers if necessary.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Im following this thread, very interesting info!
I was planning on using RP, but looks like when I reach the 3k mark, I'll be using Redline instead!

Good luck with your problem Rich!

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
The problem was in fact some sort of engine noise. It went away when I drained the RP and switched to Penzoil Plat. With the Penzoil, the motor quieted right back down again. I've put another 200 miles on it since the oil change with no problems. < shrug > :icon_conf