typical machine shop bill for head surface and valve job?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Usually about 50-60 for machine and a couple hundred for valve job.

What did they tell you?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
GreenChevelleSS;1914077 said:
$340 and they wanted $100 more to setup the valve lash

Sounds right on to me. My last head was around 500 for a very thorough cleaning (I'd eat off it) and 3 angle valve job with new stem seals. Excellent machinist too. He's the only person I would trust with a motor build at this moment.

Eric at peak performance, longmont, co.

Anyways, a valve job should be a few hundred. Any cheaper and they don't value their own time very much...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
I had mine taken apart, heat straightened, cleaned, new Toyota Valves, Springs, Retainers, valve stems/seals, 3 angle valve job, and port matched and milled to a >17RA value for $320 (plus the Toyota Parts) when I got mine done. So you look to be right in the range.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
TweeT91109;1914114 said:
I had mine taken apart, heat straightened, cleaned, new Toyota Valves, Springs, Retainers, valve stems/seals, 3 angle valve job, and port matched and milled to a >17RA value for $320 (plus the Toyota Parts) when I got mine done. So you look to be right in the range.

That price sounds pretty much impossible.
If they actually used oem valves, springs, & retainers, then the parts cost alone would exceed that total price.
I would expect to pay at least $320 for just the machine work.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
I bought a reman from Clearwater cylinder heads out of florida. Came with ge cams, and everything set to spec. Ready to drop in. I will be giving the head a better finish though as it deffinately not come with a mirror like finish.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
supraguy@aol;1914162 said:
That price sounds pretty much impossible.
If they actually used oem valves, springs, & retainers, then the parts cost alone would exceed that total price.
I would expect to pay at least $320 for just the machine work.

This is correct, I paid for those on top of the $320 in machining work.

sylquebec

Mar 23, 2008
Quebec
You should check for a quality machine shop that are able to mill to the required RA before looking for a price...