TweeT's 89 7MGTE rebuild

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Make sure you rebuild your head and check the clearances of those valve shims. Ask around and search for a good shop. There is a difference in having your head decked and sanded. A good amount of shops charge to "deck" a head but they have a long sanding belt that they throw the head on and press down. They usually charge the, "O, crap what a good price."

Real machine shops actually mount the head to a machine that cuts with a stone. I drive 30 miles, no kidding, to a machine shop that does good work. That is 30 miles to go and 30 mile to come back. It makes no sense to use a machine shop that messed up a Supra head and then one from a Hyundai Sonata....they didn't fix the Hyundai's head right and a valve just fell out into the cylinder....the whole valve was in the piston.

Just some good advice. I am sure other Supra members agree. :)

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
IBoughtASupra;1573224 said:
Make sure you rebuild your head and check the clearances of those valve shims. Ask around and search for a good shop. There is a difference in having your head decked and sanded. A good amount of shops charge to "deck" a head but they have a long sanding belt that they throw the head on and press down. They usually charge the, "O, crap what a good price."

Real machine shops actually mount the head to a machine that cuts with a stone. I drive 30 miles, no kidding, to a machine shop that does good work. That is 30 miles to go and 30 mile to come back. It makes no sense to use a machine shop that messed up a Supra head and then one from a Hyundai Sonata....they didn't fix the Hyundai's head right and a valve just fell out into the cylinder....the whole valve was in the piston.

Just some good advice. I am sure other Supra members agree. :)

True that thanks for the "heads" up ::rofl: i'm definitely going to be doing tons of research into shops that are in Tampa.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
So got home today, and have nothing better to do, so installed some new capsules I have had for a while. Just to see what they look like, idk if I like them. What do you guys think?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
So yesterday I ran into a slight problem, went to try and remove the crank bolt, with a breaker bar, and it started moving then the socket started to strip the bolt, and it jumped off....umm I have no idea what I should do, cause its not letting the socket back onto the bolt cause the corners are all mess up. Hope I didn't do to much damage, but like I said I have no idea what to do now....cause I don't want to risk striping it further. Any other ideas on how I should get this bolt off.

P.S. - I'll post pictures tonight when I get home.

p1574203_1.jpg

p1574203_2.jpg

p1574203_3.jpg

Last edited:

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
Get some sand paper or a file out on that crank bolt to get the imperfections down so you can get a socket on it.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
its just surface rust...i was thinking of having it powder coated...

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 PM ----------

mk3design;1576889 said:
Get some sand paper or a file out on that crank bolt to get the imperfections down so you can get a socket on it.

Yea did that tonight to, but i'm not going to mess with it till i can get a impact gun, and compressor, cause i don't want to mess it up again lol

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
Yeah its a tough bolt to get off, I just did mine yesterday and barely got it off at 130psi and a 1/2" impact

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Ok so new plans, going to the tire shop this weekend....to get my old bolt off.....hope it works, and hope they don't ask questions about the front of the bolt half missing lol.

Anyways...its 5:30 in the morning and tomorrow is my day off. So I was bored and got to work finishing my headlights (had to trim the metal frames back a bit to get them to fit). Umm took apart my tail to get to my antenna to replace the mast....(prom night, and my car didn't play well together)

And pics anyone?

My missing antenna

and JDM tails :naughty:

p1577114_1.jpg

removed the fender, and did some old school weight reduction :D

P.S.- The black fender and black headlight are for sale, if anyone is interested. Just PM me.

p1577114_2.jpg

p1577114_3.jpg

Head lights are finally in, and i'm starting to like them, i'm also getting the tinted turn signals so i'm hoping they will go together.

p1577114_4.jpg

Close up, to show the lens and the parts shelf :biggrinbo

p1577114_5.jpg

So anyways, i'm looking for a pearl white fender....cause I know i'm probably not going to be able to match the paints if I get the fender that was on there painted. SO if anyone has one let me know :D thanks