turbocharger glowing red!

corewitz

Dec 6, 2005
Omaha NE
hey all, i just got back from doing a little racing around and the car started idling really funny so i popped the hood and took a look around too see i popped an intercooler hose off. It was dark out and i looked at the turbo and saw that it was glowing red, is this normal to see if its dark outside?

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
its all the power from the vtec. lol jp. yeah, like others said, probablly caused from the ic hose popping off.
-Steve

corewitz

Dec 6, 2005
Omaha NE
i fixed the boost leak and now its fine, it was only at 10 psi, but it had a tear where the clamp was, it was the first hose off the turbo.

kylesupra

Nov 12, 2006
paradise valley, AZ
Yea um a glowing red turbo is from driving for long periods of time. Such as doing a mountian or twist road run. the only thing that you need to do is let it idle for like 5 mins after you are done so that the turbines have time to slow down with oil still being pumped in.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
While I don't know the scientific reasonings for why a turbo begins to glow (other than the fact of extreme heat), I can say that there are SEVERAL cars I know of that have glowing turbo(s) and/or exhaust manifolds.

For example, a 1200awhp Skyline on the dyno, completely glowing turbo's and exhaust manifolds look like there's flowing lava beneath the housings.

or, a Civic HB Turbo w/ the hotside glowing bright red after doing acouple hard interstate pulls.

or, a 92 1st Gen GSX with a mildly glowing exhaust manifold and BRIGHT glowing turbo after boosting across town randomly.

^^All random things, at random times, and all different scenario's.

So, if the conclusion to having a glowing turbo means you have a boost leak... then I am very confused at this point. :icon_conf There has GOT to be more to it.

On a second note, no, it's not NORMAL.

Jeff

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Jeff, I wouldnt say because the turbo is red, you have a boost leak.

But...he said he had a boost leak and the problem was gone after he fixed it.

kylesupra

Nov 12, 2006
paradise valley, AZ
Yea the rough idle was caused by the leak but the glowing turbo was from him racing the car and when a vechile goes rich it will make the exhaust colder do to the extra unburnt fuel in the exhaust

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
tookwik4u89 said:
Jeff, I wouldnt say because the turbo is red, you have a boost leak.

But...he said he had a boost leak and the problem was gone after he fixed it.

No no no, lol. I'm not doubting one bit that he had a boost leak...nor that this is what caused the glowing...(it only makes sense). But, what I am targetting at is why this happens to all these random vehicles that DO NOT have boost leaks.

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
i have amde things glow red after long hard runs. It was shock the first time i say it though. Mostly it was the Manifold Glowing not the Turbo it self.

Poping the IC Piping will do it though. not goo. Just follow what MDC says he knows

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
It would be a good idea to buy the Speed Source lower pipe kit. It replaces the pipes leading to the intercooler with hard pipes and costs less than $100. I highly recommend it as I had the same problem as you and this is how I corrected it.