turbo timer.... does it affect the afm?

vmoua509

SpokaneSupras
Sep 17, 2007
Spokane, WA
www.cardomain.com
I bought my car (91 supra turbo) a few weeks ago and it is completely stock. I hooked up a greddy boost controller and a greddy turbo timer. Now from out of nowhere my car would just stall and die whenever it wants to. so after checking everything i decided to clean the afm....but i used brake cleaner.... (dumbest mistake of my life) because that made it only worse.

i pulled the code and i'm getting a code 31. which is AFM signal. so how and why did all of a sudden the AFM quit working even before i cleaned it with brake cleaner???

I'm sure i wired the turbo timer correct. 12v constant, Ignition 1, Ignition 2, ground, & e-brake. Factory supra wires have two ingnition wires... i used both of them because that is what the greddy manual said to do. but what about the accessory wire? By that acc wire not being hooked up, could that have caused the AFM to go bad? Since after you shut off the car the turbo timer keeps the ignition ON....with that in mind, does it keep power to the afm also?

i'm kinda clueless right now...because i'm afraid to use the turbo timer and i'm in need of a new AFM. and still searching for one. since toyota wants $769 for one!!! ouch! for that price a good used one will do.

has anyone ever ran into this problem? if so i need help....
thanks...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Relax, you were clueless before. The TT had nothing to do with your AFM problem. You're a victim of post hoc fallacy, also known as questionable cause. And if cleaning the AFM was the dumbest mistake of your life I envy you...

vmoua509

SpokaneSupras
Sep 17, 2007
Spokane, WA
www.cardomain.com
jetjock said:
Relax, you were clueless before. The TT had nothing to do with your AFM problem. You're a victim of post hoc fallacy, also known as questionable cause. And if cleaning the AFM was the dumbest mistake of your life I envy you...

I feel better now. Well, i guess cleaning the AFM was "ONE" of the dumbest mistakes of my life....

Thanks for the quick response...
What do you suggest i use to clean the AFM if i ever had to later down the road?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It should never need cleaning. In over 20 years I've never cleaned mine. 99% of those who try do so because they mistakenly think it's at fault. Best to leave it alone other than an occasional wipe down of the housing and karman pillar with a clean dry cloth. Even that shouldn't be needed unless you're running a crappy oiled gauze filter like a K&N. Ugh...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
usually we don't recommend cleaning them, but I've cleaned mine with electical parts cleaner.

DO NOT SPRAY IT DIRECTLY IN, I put mine in a cup and got Q-tips and scrubbed the crap off the vortex generator and with the electronics removed, cleaned the housing. Do NOT get anything in the holes in the black box.

Mine had a bit of nasty buildup on the karmen pillar like JJ mentioned

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
Poodles said:
usually we don't recommend cleaning them, but I've cleaned mine with electical parts cleaner.

DO NOT SPRAY IT DIRECTLY IN, I put mine in a cup and got Q-tips and scrubbed the crap off the vortex generator and with the electronics removed, cleaned the housing. Do NOT get anything in the holes in the black box.

Mine had a bit of nasty buildup on the karmen pillar like JJ mentioned

Interesting.

Electrical parts cleaner. Hmmmm.

vmoua509

SpokaneSupras
Sep 17, 2007
Spokane, WA
www.cardomain.com
i replaced the afm today and the car is back up and running. thanks everyone for your inputs... i'm a rookie supra owner so i'll be asking more questions in the future.

i got another question... does the dashpot VSV have to be bolted to a metal ground? because i noticed that the egr vsv is bolted to metal.

thanks...:icon_razz