turbo shaft play getting bad, what are my options?

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
im on a budget build so no 1k+ turbos for me. im a diesel tech so i think im up to the task of rebuilding the ct26 in stock form to get me through the winter...i read a good writeup and im concerned about the machining and balancing part of it all. i was really just hoping i could press new bushings and seals in then after the shaft marks are lined up i could call it a day.

im wanting to hit 400whp...eventually. i have hks mhg and arp's already on a fairly fresh rebuild so i think its up to the task. but with the turbo being so loose im afraid its about to start wearing into the housing or eating up seals...that may change with oil pressure, but if you can see the shaft move i think its bad enough to replace/rebuild.

so my question, is it logical to get the 75-100 rebuild kit, get the machining done and then balancing...how much power is the stock ct good for? im sure 400 is a pipe dream for that turbo but maybe something like 320-350?

basically what turbo's are everyone going with to meet that 400+ goal and how much is it going to cost me to swap it in, which are easier and what do i need to stay away from? is a different turbo going to do anything negative for just daily cruising or will it just destroy my fuel mileage?

thanks in advance

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
If you're on a budget, get a good used ct26 and call it a day. Don't rebuild the turbo unless it is a good candidate (small amounts of shaft play, good compressor wheel / turbine wheel).

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
yea, youre the one that had the writeup from 05, great stuff there!

i wouldnt call it a small amount of play, but its boosting very well, doesnt make noise and isnt getting into the housing at all, even when trying to move it by hand.

why exactly did the turbine housing need to be machined? do the inserts not fit otherwise? after you got your shaft balanced, how far did they need to adjust, was it fairly close? i know a turbo isnt where to be cheap but im fairly certain ill need to get the t61 to meet me goal of 400. so im thinking im leaning towards just running this one till it blows. driftmotion has a good deal to do the 57 upgrade if i can get near my goal with that, i just cant have that much down time on the car. my only other ride is my bike, i can handle the cold at night, but when it rains it gets stupid cold on the highway.

about how much did it cost to have the machine work and balancing done?

sorry for the newbness, im just weighing out my options...dont want to throw money away