turbo screech or whistle

lian

Apr 15, 2008
ottawa
somtimes when go to hit boost latly i hear a mix of a screech and a whistle then goes away and the car is not holding boost properly.
i pulled the turbo it looks good and checked the and tightend all the intercooler pipeing.
also my oil presure guage isnt working this problem i have had for a while

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
when the bearing in the turbo starts to fail it will make some funky noises.

it more sounds like the old banshee scream of a loose turbo manifold.

lian

Apr 15, 2008
ottawa
there is only the same amount of play on the 57 trim from driftmotion when i got it i have only put 5 k on it i have oneexaust manifold stud turning in the head when i went to check them out and some others where not tight as when i touqed them after doing the headgasket.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Ah yes, there we go. You have an exhaust mani leak at the head. Even if one stud is loose it will leak. Mine sure did and only one was had pulled out of the head. The old factory toyota nuts tend to loose theyre locking ability over time and just loosen off too.

Heli-coils, new studs, locking nuts and gasket is the proper way to fix. Its a bit of a job to do but once its done the problem with be over and done with.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
lian;1567756 said:
can you put the the driftmotion kit in while the head is in the car

You sure can. Cylinder #6 is bit tough though (the furthest back stud). Make sure you drill and tap straight on all of them or the studs will be crooked.

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

Another thing, are you still on the stock BPV?