Turbo Revival __________ (Pic filled)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
A friend and I picked up an 89 turbo for a summer project. Car has been sitting for 2 years. Our plan is to bring it back to healthy life by the end of the summer.

It had a dead battery and even with a jump it would not start. We found a CPS wire had been broken/snapped. We spliced the wire together and BAM, It starts up for the first time in 2 years!

It idles fine now, the engine sounds like it may have an exhaust leak because it is extra growly. No shaft play in the turbo. The engine is leaking a shitload of coolant currently and we are tracking down the source. The PO claimed it had a BHG, but his only reasoning was that coolant was dripping down the side of the block. I think it might just be an old hose or something. :dunno:

Pics the night we got it home and running:
p1047678_1.jpg

p1047678_2.jpg

p1047678_3.jpg

Pics of leak on exhaust side of block. The leak is above the center of the photo, dripping down.
p1047678_4.jpg

p1047678_5.jpg

For a grand I think we may have lucked out. :) What do you think?

Official before pics:
p1047678_6.jpg

p1047678_7.jpg

p1047678_8.jpg

And one more for fun:
p1047678_9.jpg

TURBO REVIVED!
Everything is fixed and working. :) No leaks that I can find. Doesn't burn oil or coolant that I can tell. Has a slight tick in the valvetrain due to excessive clearance in a few shims but that's about it! Soooooo fun to drive.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Today we took off the thermostat housing and redid the gasket there with RTV. Coolant still drips like crazy when running. You can hear a hissing from the area of the thermostat housing right after it is shut off. What else could it be? HG? Freeze plugs as mentioned above? :dunno:

cruisnhard

SM Member
Sep 27, 2007
Waupun, Wisconsin
There are a lot of coolant hoses in that area. They may be dry rotted and cracked from sitting. Also there is a metal hose that could be rusted with a hole. You will just have to start replacing hoses to see, unless you can apply pressure while it is off so you do not burn your hand.

Otherwise great buy. How is the interior?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Are you sure it's not that 90 degree hose that's in the left of the photo?

Could be a freezeplug like mentioned...

You'll probably have to pull the turbo and manifold to find out exactly what is leaking, so do a quick compression test to help rule out the HG...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
cruisnhard;1048518 said:
There are a lot of coolant hoses in that area. They may be dry rotted and cracked from sitting. Also there is a metal hose that could be rusted with a hole. You will just have to start replacing hoses to see, unless you can apply pressure while it is off so you do not burn your hand.

Otherwise great buy. How is the interior?

I got a pressure test kit yesterday from Autozone, but stupid me, I didn't realize the kit was missing the pieces that allow you to put the kit on the radiator. Durr.

The interior is ok. There are Recaro SE seats in it currently. I have some stock blue fabric seats to put in if anyone wants the Recaro's.

Poodles;1048526 said:
Are you sure it's not that 90 degree hose that's in the left of the photo?

Could be a freezeplug like mentioned...

You'll probably have to pull the turbo and manifold to find out exactly what is leaking, so do a quick compression test to help rule out the HG...

Do you mean the right of the photo?

I am currently clueless about freeze plugs, but will be using the nifty search feature presently.

After letting it run for about ten minutes last night, the exhaust was still steamy after that ten minutes and it smelled sweet. Pretty sure it has a bhg. I'll use my block test kit tonight to see if that yeilds any definitive results.

Thanks for the replys guys!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
UPDATE!!!

It was the freakin' t-stat housing gasket area the whole time. The rtv I used is apparently NOT for use on cooling systems or something because it blew out/disintegrated. Bought some t-stat/water SPECIFIC RTV and used a new toyota gasket and BAM, problem solved.

After driving it for about a mile around the neighborhoods I can now officially confirm my suspicion that turbo Supras might be fun. :) Turbo spools well, although I think the boost gauge might be a little funky. It pulls like crazy but it only shows boost @ 4500+rpm and when it finally registers it jerks. It stays @ -4, then jerks up to about 3 psi on the gauge. Maybe bad vacuum line? I'm far from an expert on turbos but it pulls hard and 3 psi just isn't squat. :dunno:

Still not sure about BHG since I couldn't get the block test to confirm.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No need for RTV, if a brand new gasket doesn't seal, you need to clean the sealing surfaces...

Oh, and the stock boost gauge is SLOOOOOOOOW

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Update: The turbo passed emissions with flying colors!!!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Now just need to fix the steering issue, new shocks, some upholstery issues (empera to the rescue :)), boost gauge, refitting the trim piece missing in pic and a few other small things and a good cleaning and she'll be good as new... almost. ;)

SupraCam

Jun 12, 2008
Boulder
Ya, and we have to fix the windows. And I have no idea how that passed when 3 weeks ago there was every color exhaust coming out. haha

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Steering fixed with simply replacing the bushings for the rack. Car seems to be suffering from a little blow-by, but other than that she runs great with new plugs! Stock seats should go back in later this week or next.

Anyone want to buy some Recaro SE's? :D

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
First post updated. Car is up for sale and looks DAMN sexy. Stripped paint off the wheels and they look amazing. Excuse the non-cleaned tires/windows/interior. It still looks good! :p

PM if you want the car. Asking 4000 OBO, very flexible on price (especially for a supramania member) ;))