Turbo Removal Help **Urgent**

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
OK so I was doing a routine check of my car today, water, oil, hoses, clamps and found that my lower IC pipe had cracked where it had been welded. I gave it a jiggle and snaped it in half. I'm having it re-welded on Moday so no car for 2 days. I decided to remove the turbo and do the seals in it while its down.

Heres the problems. :1zhelp:

1. I have all the hoses, pipes and exhaust off the turbo except the Turbo oil pipe. I cant get to the bastard to undo the bolts! Any suggestions?
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/tc/TC_11.html see No. 9

2. My AFM and that big s-bend pipe (whats its name again that goes onto the turbo) is covered in crud. It doesn't look as if its ever been cleaned out. I know i can just degrease the pipe, but what about the AFM and honeycomb bit. Is it safe to degrease it to hell???

3. My PCV pipe has some oil residue but not a real lot in it is that cool?

4. Just in front of the compressor wheel there was a nice little (little) puddle of oil, Where can this be coming from?

Ill attack the Turbo Oil pipe again tomorrow and see how I go. I'm am going to do an Oil change as well, but do I need to drop the oil before I take that line off??

Thanks so much in advance. I'll be back at it tomorrow, hence the Urgent in the Title. Any little help is welcome.

Last edited:
May 31, 2005
Omaha
Mk3 TurboS said:
OK so I was doing a routine check of my car today, water, oil, hoses, clamps and found that my lower IC pipe had cracked where it had been welded. I gave it a jiggle and snaped it in half. I'm having it re-welded on Moday so no car for 2 days. I decided to remove the turbo and do the seals in it while its down.

Heres the problems. :1zhelp:

1. I have all the hoses, pipes and exhaust off the turbo except the Turbo oil pipe. I cant get to the bastard to undo the bolts! Any suggestions?
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/tc/TC_11.html see No. 9

2. My AFM and that big s-bend pipe (whats its name again that goes onto the turbo) is covered in crud. It doesn't look as if its ever been cleaned out. I know i can just degrease the pipe, but what about the AFM and honeycomb bit. Is it safe to degrease it to hell???

3. My PCV pipe has some oil residue but not a real lot in it is that cool?

4. Just in front of the compressor wheel there was a nice little (little) puddle of oil, Where can this be coming from?

Ill attack the Turbo Oil pipe again tomorrow and see how I go. I'm am going to do an Oil change as well, but do I need to drop the oil before I take that line off??

Thanks so much in advance. I'll be back at it tomorrow, hence the Urgent in the Title. Any little help is welcome.

HEY bro, how are you? Okay, here is a run down of your questions:

1. That turbo oil pipe is easier to take off by removing the nuts on the drain flange that is connected to the block for some people. For others, you can get the nuts of the turbo side flange. Use a combo of wrench and long extensions and sockets.

2. The S pipe is commonly called the accordian pipe (it's just a turbo intake pipe) You can clean it out, or replace it from toyota with a brand new one that is nice and flaxible for about 30 bucks. You can degrease the honey comb and clean it, but remove it first and be VERY CAREFUL...IT IS VERY FRAGILE.

3. That is normal to have residue built up. You can remove that pipe and clean it out.

4. That oil can come from two places. If you follow the PCV pipe that comes from both valve covers, it will lead to the accordian hose. That is where the oil vapors are dumped and recycled and vented. With the vacuum of the turbo, that will cause the oil to build right there on the compressor lip. Also, it can be a blown compressor seal too.

Trev

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
the two bottom oil drain lines to the sump i can undo using a 12mm long socket and a small extn.the oil feed line i use a 17mm small extn a small amount of swearing n usually she pops off.It all comes down to practise.after u do it a cupple times it gets easier.I can remove and install turbo in under 1.5hrs,all from the top of the car.a 14mm ratcheting spanner comes in handy too when undoing and tightening the turbo to manifold bolts.

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
Ive tried the swearing bit, and I'm getting good at it. Thanks for the help guys. Any last info about the honeycomb piece??

L

lanky189

the honeycomb is not "untouchable" it's the actual meter istelf...all in all, don't use degreaser..it leaves a film, get some Air Intake cleaner at your local parts place, it'll say specifically for use on AFM's and such...but go lightly on it...read the directions thoroughly..

May 31, 2005
Omaha
The honey comb is just a piece of metal that direct the air vortex...as long as you are careful and do NOT damage it, you can clean it.

Trev

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
Well good news!!!!. Its off. the turbo is sitting on my work bench with new seals ready to go in.

Bad news!!! Cant get the freqin Exhaust housing off. I have heated it and beat the shit out of it. I have now put a little bit of wd40 on it and am letting it sit for a little bit. I have really beat it up and am starting to get real shity. I remember another member who had the same problem. :icon_evil :cry: :3d_frown: :1zhelp: :nono: :icon_mad:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Update
Ok so a few a hours later and the turbo got the better of me. I hit the shit out of it with the malot and nothing. I am currently nursing a hell painfull set of nuts when the head of the malot came off and smacked my jewels. Man they hurt. So i gave up. I'm going to take it somewhere and get someone else to remove it for me. Anyway, thanks for all your help. I appreciate it. Man my nuts still hurt. :cry:

Last edited:

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
Bit of an update!!

Good news. I got the exhaust housing off and stripped the turbo down. I've done a tonne of work on cars but this is my first turbo.It was fun......

Any how, its all back together and ready to go on. New seals, internals and gaskets. Just a quick question that needs to be answered in the next 7 hours before i put it back on. Its not quite as "free spinning" as it was before I pulled it apart. It still spins easy but not quite as easy as before. I'm guessing this is expected since everything is new and a little tight???? right??? right???

Last edited:

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
*Update*

Bad news. I put the turbo back on and reinstalled everything. Went to start it and it struggled to start the first few times. She finally fired up and idle's perfect. All of the sudden smoke starts pouring out from the underside of the turbo and NOW also from behind the turbo side rocker cover!!!! :evil2: :cry: I took it for a short drive around the block and it would try and die as soon as any boost was created. So i parked it, had a sob, had a beer, went to bed. Im at work now so ill have a look this arvo. Is there any oil lines that run behind the head??