Turbo diesel trucks...

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Okay, I have been looking into a turbo diesel truck for several months now and while test driving a Powerstroke Ford with the 6.0, I noticed something interesting. At freeway speeds, it seems to be at about 8-10 psi all the time. Is this a bad thing for the overall life of the turbo? The turbo is spinning anyway when the motor is running, so I guess I really don't think having it make boost while it spins is bad, but I am definitely not the diesel expert! When I asked the dealer about it, he said that Ford went from the bigger 7.3 with a smaller turbo to the 6.0 with a bigger turbo to help with power delivery.

Anybody out there with one? Thoughts on Duramax/Cummins?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I'd get a Dodge, because I looooove the I6!!
The Cummins is a great engine, too... I just don't like the way V8 diesel's sound.

Troyota

I Love What You Do For Me
Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
The technology and power abilities of Turbo diesel trucks has grown by leaps and bounds recently. They are producing well over 1200 lbs/ft of torque with simple mods. That's insane!

Last edited:

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
There is a guy in Bremerton that runs a low 12 second 1/4 mile in a F350 powerstroke V8 with chimney stack pipes and a chip mod. They made him cage it..

Same type truck my dad drives(30psi stock). He could pull the supra when I was stock, but I walk all over him now..:biglaugh:

Last edited:

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I love Cummins and Powerstroke.
But I do agree, the I6 cummins sounds meeaaann.
With $600 in performance chips you'll be over 1000lbs/ft of torque... that's crazy.
The guy who owns the gas station by my house ran a 14.4 in his almost stock Diesel Harley Davidson in 4wheel drive (he'd spin 1/8 mile in 2wd)

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
I love diesel trucks, especially with the way the aftermarket has boomed for them with Banks, Edge, Bully Dog, etc. supporting more hp and torque...but back to my original question...is it bad for the turbo to stay in the boost all the time? Hypothetically I wouldn't think so since the turbo is always spinning anyway, but I'm just looking for someone to back me up on that thought process.

lanternman

Apr 21, 2005
MI
I don't think it is much of an issue to be boosting all of the time (if that is truly the way it is supposed to be, and not a malfunction). With diesel, you usually have a large displacement with a turbo that is designed to make high boost. When you think about the fact that they don't rev very high, it makes sense that they would be making some boost even at cruise speeds. You also have to remember that everything on a diesel is beefy, and they run alot cooler than gas engines. There a few key difference between gasoline and diesel engines, a diesel makes power based on fuel injected, not air passed through the engine. It doesn't have a throttle body so air flows through the engine freely at all times, thus allowing enough volume of air flow through to keep the engine on boost. In this case you have a small burn event with alot of additional air to cool it down on its way out.

edited for clarity