Turbo death whine?? help!

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
I got dynoed the other day when i noticed the turbo wasn't holding its own. Tonight as i went to pick up the pizza i noticed a whine from the turbo, if you can imagine almost a whistling noise on top of just the typical air-flow noise. Is this the end of my turbo?? how long will it last and is it safe to drive??? ineed to go to school 300 miles away...should i wait?

ilikebigbutts

workin' my dream
Jun 10, 2007
Pittsburgh
i really would not suggest going 300 miles away with a turbo whine.if it gets bad enough, metal shaving may end up in your engine's intake or lubrication system.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
how bout you check your ic pipes for leaks. then check the turbo for shaft play. then are you seeing the normal boost pressure (peak)? when are you seeing boost build? how many miles are on the turbo and at what pressure? any smoke or abnormal oil consumption?

it could be a few different things than the turbo so lets check the easier things and go from there.

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
MK_to_the_3rd said:
how would it sound like? just a whine?

I have a whine too, but I am boosting fine. I checked my shaft and have no play, so I am thinking I have an intake leak of something. I have no smoke or anything either. Just whines when I get on it real hard. I just redone all my vacuum lines, so has to be an intake leak. Could that be your problems too?

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
When my stock CT-26 made roar like what a Jaguar or other wild cat makes in the wild, I thought it was badass.

Then I upgraded to a 57 trim, and missed the cool noises.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
MKIIINA said:
how bout you check your ic pipes for leaks. then check the turbo for shaft play. then are you seeing the normal boost pressure (peak)? when are you seeing boost build? how many miles are on the turbo and at what pressure? any smoke or abnormal oil consumption?

it could be a few different things than the turbo so lets check the easier things and go from there.

Im going to take the intak off today to check for shaft play. Turbo boosts just shy of 3K but has a stuttering effect to it until 3.2K or so. It spools to 10 and over but bleeds slowly until 5.5K in which it bleeds rather rapidly. My last dyno showed this two days ago. Topped out at 260WHP at only 7.7PSI at 5.4K. Boost controller is set for around 10-11PSI. The tuner turned up the gain but still bled out the same. I've been through all the clamps and no leaks, its been gas tested as well. 170K miles on turbo~! always been stock boost until the last 2K miles in which its been lightly driven the first 500, and a bit harder as time goes on for rebuild break-in. No abnormal smoke yet. Like i said, you can compare it to someone whistling during the spool, it didn't used to do that.

Also ive noticed abnormal vibrations since my dyno runs. In fact last night at an idle my knock sensor was reading 0-3Hz but once gas was touched it stopped...don't know whats up with that.