Turbo Choices... Which one?

Boost_happy

breakin it sideways!
Dec 28, 2005
Boise, ID
So i'm freshening up (rings, bearings, gaskets, ect...) my 7m and i sold the stocker to gets some needed parts for the rebuild. Now i'm kicking around the idea of a larger turbo.... I've got a few choices. #1 buy another stocker. #2 I have a Mitsubishi TD06-3 off a FUSO truck with a 12cm wastegated exhaust housing. with a little work of the dremal tool it will bolt onto the stock manifold and i can figure out how to graft the ct actuator onto it. i think this may work pretty well and make decent HP #3 sell the TD06 and buy an ebay t70, or t3/t4 and build an adaptor and run an external wastegate i have... just trying to make up my mind and was wondering what you guys think and get your input. I mainly just want to get the car running and try making 350-400HP in the future, and i'm on a tight budget right now

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Ma70.Ent;907505 said:
57 trim CT26.

yeah nothing beats that for budget =/ (you can even go beyond 400) plus you can shave off the letters and polish it noone will ever know its an upgrade :biglaugh:

Boost_happy

breakin it sideways!
Dec 28, 2005
Boise, ID
That is what i really want to do, but i dont have the funds for one right now, and the TD06 is very similar to the 20g, it might even have the same compressor wheel.... plus i think it will have good spool/flow characteristics. Anyways, im not sure what im goin to do yet. I kind of like to try something different then everyone else, might discover something new that works good. plus i like doing custom fabricating work. I'll try to get some pics up of my 2jz project, made an adaptor for the t4 mani and mounted a Holset wh1c on it. sold the car to a buddy, but we'll see how it runs and what poer it makes

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i understand what you are saying, but there will be a lot things you'll have to do to make that TD turbo fit.

modify/fabricate adapter for turbine flange
modify/fabricate downpipe
modify/fabricate ic piping
make new oil/water lines
modify/fabricate new turbo inlet pipe
modify/fabricate wg

i'm just saying for your power goals a bolt on ct upgrade is a direct swap and best bang for the buck. plus later down the road if you decide you want more you can easily sell it. or for that matter if you are getting that TD for free you can always just sell it to buy a ct upgrade.

Boost_happy

breakin it sideways!
Dec 28, 2005
Boise, ID
Im working on selling the diesel turbo right now, its on ebay for 175 and no ones bid on it so i might use it. plus it has an internal wastegate. just need to put the ct actuator on it which i have. I already have an adaptor plate, but with a little modding to the bolt holes on the housing and a little porting it will bolt right on. and building a DP is cake and i want to build my own intake and with this turbo i shouldnt need new piping if i can get it to bolt on, but we will see.

Also I do have an external WG and a T3 adaptor that i mad to bolt to the stock mani...
But like you guys say it will be really easy to just buy a ct57 but like i said money is an issue right now, and i just want to get the car drivable for now. once i get the motor done ill start experamenting and see what works

Red7m

Oct 16, 2005
Hollidaysburg PA
I would run the tdo6 off of the FUSO truck. I was also comparing the the Mishi flange to the ct-26 flange and they are very similair. So I dont think that it would take that much work.

Boost_happy

breakin it sideways!
Dec 28, 2005
Boise, ID
Thats what i was thinking, so i think ill give it a shot, plus i dont think its gonna sell anyways. should flow pretty good and have good spool characteristics im thinkin