turbo A h/gasket up rebuild

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Well a mate of mine just blew his turbo A headgasket so i jumped at the chance to fix it hopefully better than ever.
It will be getting a few new bits such as:ARP head bolts, map ecu, apexi filter, port and polish and the usual head jobs(sounds dirty)valves, valve stem seals e.t.c, HKS headgasket, new 60-1 garrett internaled ct-26, walbro 255lph intank, RC 550 injectors, HKS bov, new apexi intercooler with ceramic coated intercooler piping, HKS adjustable fuel pressure reg.
Already fitted with custom dump pipe, custom 3" exhaust with high flow cat, apexi exhaust.
Also trying to talk him into letting me fit it out with custom thermo setup to help it out on hotter days, help reduce heat soak .
Ill keep up with pics and results as much as possible and post up the new dyno figures and power curve.
His last dyno numbers were 322rwhp with a blown headgasket on no:6 cylinder, hoping for 400+ with the new bits and a proper sealing s/s gasket.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
oooops forgot to add we'll chuck on some new DBA slotted rotors and bendix ceramic pads this weekend on his turbo A to help slow it down after the odd quick run.lol.And yes he has too much money to waste so i just help him waste it in the right direction....cheers dan bring around the beer this weekend.:beer:

Turbo-a

Cruiser
Jun 25, 2007
Australia, Queensland
wiseco7mgt said:
Well a mate of mine just blew his turbo A headgasket so i jumped at the chance to fix it hopefully better than ever.
It will be getting a few new bits such as:ARP head bolts, map ecu, apexi filter, port and polish and the usual head jobs(sounds dirty)valves, valve stem seals e.t.c, HKS headgasket, new 60-1 garrett internaled ct-26, walbro 255lph intank, RC 550 injectors, HKS bov, new apexi intercooler with ceramic coated intercooler piping, HKS adjustable fuel pressure reg.
Already fitted with custom dump pipe, custom 3" exhaust with high flow cat, apexi exhaust.
Also trying to talk him into letting me fit it out with custom thermo setup to help it out on hotter days, help reduce heat soak .
Ill keep up with pics and results as much as possible and post up the new dyno figures and power curve.
His last dyno numbers were 322rwhp with a blown headgasket on no:6 cylinder, hoping for 400+ with the new bits and a proper sealing s/s gasket.

Good stuff Pete!!! lol its the cooleeze hard pipes full ceramic coated with the spearco cooler.. hehe, just have to be picky

So here's some pictures of the turbo-a :D

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
head is off to the machinist and new discs and pads are fitted.We're just waiting for "rich to send us the ARP's and the timing belt.Also newly arrived is the map ecu's, i decided to add one to my cressida as well, couldnt let turbo-a have all the fun.lol

Turbo-a

Cruiser
Jun 25, 2007
Australia, Queensland
Ok, so heres some pictures so far

The turbo arrived! ct-26 with 60-1 garret internals!! should be nice

Heres the old Head gaskit! haha

Heres a pic of the block just after head removed

And a pic of the head back from getting surfaced! its like glass! TOP JOB!!

Turbo-a

Cruiser
Jun 25, 2007
Australia, Queensland
So heres some pictures of my 'turbo-a' turbo compared to the new ct-26 60-1 garrett!! I wish i could compare all 3 turbos, stock, turbo-a and 60-1! well, Im sure you can see the results in size... the stock ct-26 is smaller again! LOL

Close up of the 'turbo-a turbo' *Notice the little "E" engraved near the large A? means a true turbo-a turbo :D

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
nice man!,

How much boost were you pushing when you hit the 322hp?

GL w/ this man very interested in seeing the progress.

Turbo-a

Cruiser
Jun 25, 2007
Australia, Queensland
americanjebus said:
nice man!,

How much boost were you pushing when you hit the 322hp?

GL w/ this man very interested in seeing the progress.

Hi there, yeah it was running at 13psi boost.. with no fuel computer.. only tuned with the pressure regulator! head gasket was going when it was dyno'd too. so with this new turbo, porting, mapecu etc and the head bolted on.. im hoping for over 400hp! ill have pictures every week.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Head is now pulled to bits and porting work has started.Ill post up pics when the head is all finished this week.So far all the valves are straight and with no pitting on the sealing face of the valve or seats, a light facing should be all thats required, to get them sealing....

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
heres one of the inlet ports ready for final polish
sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]

Turbo-a

Cruiser
Jun 25, 2007
Australia, Queensland
Well its getting more closer! heres a couple more pictures, with the new 60-1 turbo mounted and the head placed on and all secured!! yeah that big red pipe is the oil drain, needs to be trimed... so not too far away!

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
hey dan how about some results of a good run?hows the new brakes?where is the sweet spot for the turbo?more pics after a wash?:beer:

Turbo-a

Cruiser
Jun 25, 2007
Australia, Queensland
wiseco7mgt said:
hey dan how about some results of a good run?hows the new brakes?where is the sweet spot for the turbo?more pics after a wash?:beer:

well theirs some good questions! Ive found out that with about 6-8 psi boost with this turbo is just as powerful in comparsion when it got dyno'd. So the port work and turbo have made a bigger difference. Also im only pushing the car just under 1/2 throttal, so yet to find out full stick yet (not bad huh)! the turbo spools up at 3000rpm, but makes boost at 4000rpm, so in comparison to the old turbo-a turbo charger, it was spooling at 2300rpm and made boost at 3000ish rpm. im not to concerned about the spool up times, this car performs so much better!! It just feels like it wants to just get up and run! cant wait to see what 18psi does :naughty: im still yet to put on the larger fuel pump and wire up the map ecu! ill get a load more pictures in a couple of days, working late and pictures are worthless at night! the brakes? well i think i need to drain the old fuild out and bleed them, but on a good note, they dont squeal like a hoe no more ahah! so the old girl is all clean and polished up sitting in the shed. so once ive got map-ecu wired up, fuel pump on and re-route the "J-pipe", im off to the dyno! so 2-3 weeks i think...