tune opinion and feedback

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Hi guys i have a friend whos just had his 7mgte ma70 turboA dynotuned, and the technique the tuner used puzzled me a little.He first set the timing at 15 degrees(stock turbo A cams) then proceeded to tune the map ecu at 11 afr across the board and wouldnt tune the car over 14psi because he said the timing couldnt be adjusted any more....
I wasnt there when the car was tuned so im a little puzzled as to the technique used, I realise i havent given you guys much info to go with and ill add to this once i see the dyno sheet myself, but is this a common way to tune supras?
I always believed in setting the timing at 10-11 degrees and tuning from there..The tuner claims if the timing isnt set at 15degrees it kills the bottom end, but in my experience all that does is kill the top end as you cant tune any more for fear of detonation.?
Please help me sort out this puzzle, Its buggin the crap out of me and the company that tuned his car is very well known and respected.
tuner pulled 344rwhp at 14 psi(679nm torque).

(car engine specs)
1.2mmhks h/gasket
550 rc injectors
hks afpr
550whinebro
map ecu
60-1 turbo
p/p head
150psi across all 6 cyl
spearco intercooler
cooleze pipes
hks bov

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Sounds you need a new tuner ....... set it 10 degrees and the ECU does the rest. He should be tuning with the fuel pressure first then make adjustments with the piggyback (the map ECU)

11 flat is a moderate tune you could be a little leaner ..... I am at 11.8-12.2 and I tuned it myself.... I am on a lex afm, SAFC II and stock 440's and I am boosting 15psi. You should be able to boost 20+ with your setup

Turbo-a

Cruiser
Jun 25, 2007
Australia, Queensland
well here is the dyno sheet,

sm_photo_missing.jpg

so now i realise the timimg should be at 10, the pressure reg was set at 40. i was hoping for more hp.
the actual power curve made was by the tune, didnt use a softener to make it *look nicer*.

any more info or ideas would be great! thanks

Mk3Les

Turbo-a;1024228 said:
well here is the dyno sheet,

[THUMB]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj76/wruckie/1.jpg[/THUMB]

so now i realise the timimg should be at 10, the pressure reg was set at 40. i was hoping for more hp.
the actual power curve made was by the tune, didnt use a softener to make it *look nicer*.

any more info or ideas would be great! thanks

Mate I thought you would have made more than that, honestly I think tuners here in Brisbane a scared of 7m's. I made around the same power as you and I have a smaller turbo but my torque is much lower than yours (I'm at 14psi too). I think with a bit more boost and a proper tune you should see at least 380hp atw, How does it feel to drive?

Turbo-a

Cruiser
Jun 25, 2007
Australia, Queensland
Mk3Les;1024696 said:
Mate I thought you would have made more than that, honestly I think tuners here in Brisbane a scared of 7m's. I made around the same power as you and I have a smaller turbo but my torque is much lower than yours (I'm at 14psi too). I think with a bit more boost and a proper tune you should see at least 380hp atw, How does it feel to drive?

Well, ive been driving aroud with the standard computer with a FCD and it was more smoother down low, but with map ecu in anywhere above 3000rpm it seems to be pretty good.. so once i go back there i will need him to take out some more fuel... was a bit thursty comming back from brisbane aswell..

i noticed was the turbo, before i thought it was loud, but it seems to make a much more louder scream at 14/15psi! so i'm looking forward to hearing it at 18psi lol.

i was assuming i would make 400hp, but i was on a different dyno previously with a BHG, there air tempreture sensor is placed under the bonnet (hence making 322hp with bhg, smaller turbo etc), where as on the this dyno, its placed on the actual arm of computer station for a more realistic figure. the difference was said to be at least 30+hp difference.

so i'll contact the tuner again this week and get him to have a stab again

Mk3Les

Turbo-a;1025043 said:
Well, ive been driving aroud with the standard computer with a FCD and it was more smoother down low, but with map ecu in anywhere above 3000rpm it seems to be pretty good.. so once i go back there i will need him to take out some more fuel... was a bit thursty comming back from brisbane aswell..

i noticed was the turbo, before i thought it was loud, but it seems to make a much more louder scream at 14/15psi! so i'm looking forward to hearing it at 18psi lol.

i was assuming i would make 400hp, but i was on a different dyno previously with a BHG, there air tempreture sensor is placed under the bonnet (hence making 322hp with bhg, smaller turbo etc), where as on the this dyno, its placed on the actual arm of computer station for a more realistic figure. the difference was said to be at least 30+hp difference.

so i'll contact the tuner again this week and get him to have a stab again

yeah get em to have another look at it, you should easily have at least 380hp, why did they only take it to 14psi? from what I understand with the t04/ct26 upgrade 14psi is just getting into he fun zone ;). I know with mine the difference between 14psi and 16 wasn't much but looking at my dyno graph I think the clutch might have been slipping because it dips around 4200rpm then picks up again slowly. Also dont get too hung up on dyno numbers they all read different, the only true test is to take it to the track :) what say we take a month to get our cars in order and hook up at Willowbank?

Turbo-a

Cruiser
Jun 25, 2007
Australia, Queensland
Mk3Les;1025095 said:
yeah get em to have another look at it, you should easily have at least 380hp, why did they only take it to 14psi? from what I understand with the t04/ct26 upgrade 14psi is just getting into he fun zone ;). I know with mine the difference between 14psi and 16 wasn't much but looking at my dyno graph I think the clutch might have been slipping because it dips around 4200rpm then picks up again slowly. Also dont get too hung up on dyno numbers they all read different, the only true test is to take it to the track :) what say we take a month to get our cars in order and hook up at Willowbank?

The reason he left it at 14psi because it was pinging.. due to having the timing at 15 degrees lol. Factory timing for 7mgte is 12! so once timing set to 10, he can boost it to 18psi and lean it out a bit more too :icon_bigg

just wait till you get your twin plate clutch on, it wont slip then lol!

I've been wanting to take the car down the 1/4 eventually! i'd also like to take it on morgan park race way in warwick! but need to buy the big brake kit before it goes on a track, the mk3 supra brakes are shit lol.

Mk3Les

Turbo-a;1025232 said:
The reason he left it at 14psi because it was pinging.. due to having the timing at 15 degrees lol. Factory timing for 7mgte is 12! so once timing set to 10, he can boost it to 18psi and lean it out a bit more too :icon_bigg

just wait till you get your twin plate clutch on, it wont slip then lol!

I've been wanting to take the car down the 1/4 eventually! i'd also like to take it on morgan park race way in warwick! but need to buy the big brake kit before it goes on a track, the mk3 supra brakes are shit lol.

Thats why I said in a month LOL, I got my push pull converter during the week so the clutch goes in next week :) I'm keen to get mine to the track just to see what I can do with my current tune. If I can drive it well I should get a low 13sec 1/4 mile time.

Yeah mine pinged its head off the first time I had it on the dyno but that was because the timing belt had skiped a tooth :( . As I said with a good tune and you timing fixed you should get the 380/400 out yours.

Morgan park? is that hill climbing? I'd like to have a go at that so time. Keep me posted.

Turbo-a

Cruiser
Jun 25, 2007
Australia, Queensland
Mk3Les;1025270 said:
Thats why I said in a month LOL, I got my push pull converter during the week so the clutch goes in next week :) I'm keen to get mine to the track just to see what I can do with my current tune. If I can drive it well I should get a low 13sec 1/4 mile time.

Yeah mine pinged its head off the first time I had it on the dyno but that was because the timing belt had skiped a tooth :( . As I said with a good tune and you timing fixed you should get the 380/400 out yours.

Morgan park? is that hill climbing? I'd like to have a go at that so time. Keep me posted.

This is the circurt of the race way! ive been there to watch my mate's improved production race car! very nice track
http://www.morganparkraceway.com.au/circuit.htm

yeah mate ill let you know once i'm ready to go there!

Turbo-a

Cruiser
Jun 25, 2007
Australia, Queensland
wiseco7mgt;1025412 said:
Quarter mile race hey? sounds interesting:biglaugh:

So which car you going to take down the strip? the jza70? or the cressida??? :sarcasm:

your supra with the 7m would be nutz on that race track :squirt-mo

I'll have to come around so we can use your timing light to change it to 10!

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
yeah they love the 1jz but i think thats just cause there lazy.:biglaugh:
But the g/box in front of my cresida is getting worse everytime i drive it, so i may have to use my 1jz supra(how embarassing):biglaugh:

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Turbo-a;1025417 said:
So which car you going to take down the strip? the jza70? or the cressida??? :sarcasm:

your supra with the 7m would be nutz on that race track :squirt-mo

I'll have to come around so we can use your timing light to change it to 10!

Yeah we'll turn that timing back a bit this week , let me know what arvo you finish early.

Turbo-a

Cruiser
Jun 25, 2007
Australia, Queensland
Best part of have 679nm of touqe?? lesser gear changes on the race track opposed to the 1jz :x:

But will be interestind down the strip, we'll have to tee up the queensland supra club for both track day and 1/4mile.

Mk3Les

wiseco7mgt;1025678 said:
yeah they love the 1jz but i think thats just cause there lazy.:biglaugh:
But the g/box in front of my cresida is getting worse everytime i drive it, so i may have to use my 1jz supra(how embarassing):biglaugh:

Nothing to be embarassed about 1jz are great! I just dont think they are the end all and be all. For me I think taking a 7m out and putting in a 1jz is a step backward (I'll put my flame suit on now thanks :) )

But yeah we should work out a good time for all to get to the track and try them out, but you guys have to take it easy on me I'm an old man :)

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Turbo-a;1025696 said:
Best part of have 679nm of touqe?? lesser gear changes on the race track opposed to the 1jz :x:

But will be interestind down the strip, we'll have to tee up the queensland supra club for both track day and 1/4mile.

Hey?how does torque give you less gear changes? lol Mine revs to 7000rpm when it shifts split second due to an M.V automatics shift kit.

Nothing to be embarassed about 1jz are great! I just dont think they are the end all and be all. For me I think taking a 7m out and putting in a 1jz is a step backward (I'll put my flame suit on now thanks
True ... I agree , my ma70 came with a jz already in it and its definately not as tough as my 7m, although its is very gentle on the tranny and diff due to the fact the 1jz was designed by transvestites.

Mk3Les

wiseco7mgt;1026686 said:
Hey?how does torque give you less gear changes? lol Mine revs to 7000rpm when it shifts split second due to an M.V automatics shift kit.

Nothing to be embarassed about 1jz are great! I just dont think they are the end all and be all. For me I think taking a 7m out and putting in a 1jz is a step backward (I'll put my flame suit on now thanks
True ... I agree , my ma70 came with a jz already in it and its definately not as tough as my 7m, although its is very gentle on the tranny and diff due to the fact the 1jz was designed by transvestites.

I think I've just fround my new sig :)

I agree , my ma70 came with a jz already in it and its definately not as tough as my 7m, although its is very gentle on the tranny and diff due to the fact the 1jz was designed by transvestites.:biglaugh: