Trying to get 500RWTQ holding on stock pressure plate

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
subscribing for updates. I just got back into a 1JZ supra after 6 years. Brought the car used from an old friend when I had mine. It now rocks an ACT extreme but I fear it will crankwalk over time. Seeing what is out there. The clutch is new in the car and no signs of crank walk yet with all the clutch bypass and all. The fear of destroying this motor haunts me. Making around 500hp

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
Well I did the bypass mod for the start as well and I still crank walked the 1jz.

So an update on my clutch, I haven't had time to adjust it, I'm sure there is air in there but that shouldn't affect overall holding capacity of my clutch. I'm pretty sure that I'm making too much power for my disk and pressure plate combo. At 15 psi ramping slowly to 18 it will hold, however at 20-21 it just blows off the clutch under wot in any gear with load like 3-4th. I'm pretty sure I'm making about 450-475 tq and exceeding the limit of my friction material and pressure plate. As I understand Fermaic is like a stinted iron disk from the local clutch rebuilder that I talked to. With his estimate on my setup I was supposed to hold 420-495 tq so I guess that puts me right in that space.

Since the only way I can get more clamping force without a pressure plate upgrade would be to move to a 4 pick disk, I have to face a trade off. Heavy clutch peddle and more ware on thrust bearings, or less street able 4 pick disk. I don't believe there is any other material that has a higher friction coefficient than the Fermaic, which still keeps he properties of staying steerable.

Other options include twin and triple disks, but again not where I want to go due to cost and repairability.

He noted that the stock pressure plate is 1200 lb. He can upgrade The factory pressure plate to 2000 LBS using the same Fermaic disk and should hold 575ft tq aperently.

This is stiffer and not quite as bad as my old 3200 lbs dual diaphragm setup from rps which broke transmissions and straps.