Trying Lexus AFM with 440's on stock CT26 for benefit of community

jboyle83

Sep 14, 2009
Madison,AL
Quick update, still going strong on this setup with 0 problems. Will be going to a larger turbo and of course larger injectors very soon, but would like to make it known that if done correctly (wideband, higher fuel pressure) there is no reason that a LEX can not be used with 440's to raise fuel cut.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
This John Lunsford guy also has a page about removing the engine bay rear gasket and shimming the hood to allow heat to "escape". Combine that with Lex AFM /440's and PVC intercooler piping.... yikes. Now that parts are readily available and inexpensive to do all of this the right way all these "ghetto mods" just seem... well.... ghetto.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
jboyle83;1919435 said:
but would like to make it known that if done correctly (wideband, higher fuel pressure) there is no reason that a LEX can not be used with 440's to raise fuel cut.

This false flat on its face. Toyota runs a rich tune because they did not use forged pistons. You took a chance, and took it light for all of 7000 miles. Don't do this at home, kids.

WillWorkFoBoost

that guy
Sep 1, 2009
Maine
suprarx7nut;1919661 said:
This John Lunsford guy also has a page about removing the engine bay rear gasket and shimming the hood to allow heat to "escape". Combine that with Lex AFM /440's and PVC intercooler piping.... yikes. Now that parts are readily available and inexpensive to do all of this the right way all these "ghetto mods" just seem... well.... ghetto.
the funny thing about pvc intercooler piping is that its as expensive as buying cheap diy aluminum piping and couplers lol

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
550 injectors are 250 used

250.00 vs 3,000 for engine rebuild... Makes no sense to me why would you play so close to a edge like that.

One thing goes wrong and u go lean going up a hill and your out 3,000 instead of 250.00

WillWorkFoBoost

that guy
Sep 1, 2009
Maine
Even if it has allowed you to run a few pounds more boost, by using a lex housing and not keeping injector size to scale it just makes the stock maf reading 25% off from what it should be. I.e kinda shooting yourself in the foot in the long run by making the most important sensor in the system less accurate than factory. go unplug your o2 and drive around and see how off afrs are until open loop. On the other hand you said you have forged internals so youre not gonna hurt anything. Its one of those things I like to think about like this: If you understand the system I think theres no reason you cant try hackish type things like this and have them work for you, but theres gonna be people that dont understand the system as well as you that are gonna throw parts on their car and pop it. so no the average person shouldnt use a lex afm and stock injectors. also the average person doesnt have forged internals.

Tony

Jul 12, 2010
hertford
Just wanted to let Jboyle know for the record your not the only one running this setup. I have had 440's with the lex afm for the last 5 years. Of course i raised the fuel in the process but only with a holley 255 and a resistor to the iat. Kept an eye on my air/fuel ratios of course but never had any issues. Also running a garrett GT35 with this setup. Only issues i have had with this setup is transmissions.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
jboyle83;1919435 said:
Quick update, still going strong on this setup with 0 problems. Will be going to a larger turbo and of course larger injectors very soon, but would like to make it known that if done correctly (wideband, higher fuel pressure) there is no reason that a LEX can not be used with 440's to raise fuel cut.

Definitely a brave man.

itsDELUXson

Jan 2, 2013
Ventura County
plus.google.com
WillWorkFoBoost;1925785 said:
Even if it has allowed you to run a few pounds more boost, by using a lex housing and not keeping injector size to scale it just makes the stock maf reading 25% off from what it should be. I.e kinda shooting yourself in the foot in the long run by making the most important sensor in the system less accurate than factory. go unplug your o2 and drive around and see how off afrs are until open loop. On the other hand you said you have forged internals so youre not gonna hurt anything. Its one of those things I like to think about like this: If you understand the system I think theres no reason you cant try hackish type things like this and have them work for you, but theres gonna be people that dont understand the system as well as you that are gonna throw parts on their car and pop it. so no the average person shouldnt use a lex afm and stock injectors. also the average person doesnt have forged internals.

The previous owner of my car fits that scenario well. Just started slapping parts on the car he heard made it faster from what I'm gathering. It has a Lexus AFM but the stock injectors and I'm going to take a guess and say the fuel pump is stock as well. Has an upgraded CT26 but didn't have a boost controller or aftermarket boost gauge to monitor boost levels. It hits well over the stock 8 psi gauge from the few times I've driven it... So now I'm in the process of fixing anything and everything. Just glad the head gasket blew on him before any other detrimental damage took place.

Sent from my rooted Galaxy S III