Trunk clattering while driving

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
Hey guys, finally got my supra back from driftmotion and now am dealing with a noisy trunk again, is there anything that might be causing this noise because it's getting pretty annoying. Any help appreciated guys and girls

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Replace the rubber bump stops with new ones. The ones on the side get new bolts as well as they strip easy since they have loctite on them.

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
I've replaced them with new ones from dm but noticed a slight difference, but it still chattered, would adjusting the trunk latch help?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
Could the mod move this to the general mk3 discussion because the tapatalk app acted up and put this into the builds thread?
Please and thanks

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
struts and seals need to be in good condition.

If you cant lift up when the hatch is latched then the latch is prolly not an issue.

80083r

I have a strut mount that I couldn't torque down properly because the little flat spot rounded while I was torquing (pretty sure that was my fault) and couldn't figure out the rattle for a long time. Check the top nut on your struts, just to be sure. Mine doesn't rattle all the time, but when it does, it sounds like the hatch is about to fall off.

For those interested - it's been off the road for body work and paint for a year, so it'll be fixed before I drive it this spring.

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
So here's what I can tell you with me just messing around.
The hatch is able to be pushed down, have yet to fiddle with the struts but will be checking them out soon, I've already replaced the bump stops, just need new struts

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
I just replaced all 4 struts with new tokico illumina II's. Now I was able to hear what was actually rattling and the last thing was the trunk latch. I stopped the rattling be wrapping dust tape around the lid latch. I took a strip of duct tape the same size of the latch and wrapped about 4-5 wraps. It closes snugly and no more rattle. It's not permenant by any means. But give it a try for a quick fix. I am down to fixing some wind noise!