trip meter repair

CassMori

Boost Addict
does anyone know if there is a way to repair the reset function for the trip meter? The meter itself works fine, it's just become a real pain in the a$$ to reset it lately, like there are some teeth broken off the wheels or something. Sometimes it will catch and reset on first try, most times not. I don't really want to replace the entire speedometer/odometer, but if this can't be repaired, can just the trip meter be replaced? I haven't had a chance to take it out of the dash yet, and I can't remember if it is seperate from the odometer or not.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
I fixed KevinM's trip meter. We had an extra one lying around (can't just swap a new one in there since it is tied in with the ODO). Carefully took the thing apart guessing the whole time. Found a broken piece of plastic in there and replaced it with a piece from the extra one. Pull that bastard out and take a close look at it. I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out.

Note: This was a couple years ago now so I don't remember exactly what I did to fix Kevin's. But I did figure it out just by looking closely at the thing.

I'd suggest tearing into the spare first to get a feel for how things come apart.

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
CassMori said:
does anyone know if there is a way to repair the reset function for the trip meter? The meter itself works fine, it's just become a real pain in the a$$ to reset it lately, like there are some teeth broken off the wheels or something. Sometimes it will catch and reset on first try, most times not. I don't really want to replace the entire speedometer/odometer, but if this can't be repaired, can just the trip meter be replaced? I haven't had a chance to take it out of the dash yet, and I can't remember if it is seperate from the odometer or not.

Mine does the same thing, let me know what you find. I will attempt a fix
when I replace the old cracked dash----