Trip meter no longer works

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
Happy belated Thanksgiving! Just woke up out of a turkey coma and didn't know if anyone else had this problem.

While driving yesterday, I noticed my trip meter/counter wasn't operating. It was stuck somewhere around 100. I reset it and it started rolling over normally, only to get stuck around 10. Repeated the process again and again only to get it stuck at 2-3 miles then finally .1 to nothing. If I hit the dash above the speedo it will jump and start to roll forward but get stuck quickly.

The past few years on really cold mornings, I would hear this horrible buzzing sound coming from behind the gauge cluster when I hit 50+ mph. It would disappear if I tapped the dash in the same spot or dropped below 45 mph.

The odometer still works fine. I'm guessing it's a direct drive from the speedometer cable then a few (nylon?) gears transmits some motion to the lower trip meter, and one of these gears is stripped.

Suggested fixes?

stevexyz

Nov 15, 2011
CA
mine doesn't work either. i bought it that way tho. it never worked for me. it just sits at 0. i hope someone who had fixed this problem before would give us the solution.

stevexyz

Nov 15, 2011
CA
IBoughtASupra;1779908 said:
Most likely a bad gear if your speedometer is still working.

so the gear might have been worn out? if so, do i just take apart the dashboard and replace this gear? or do i have to buy a whole dashboard?

stevexyz

Nov 15, 2011
CA
bioskyline;1780471 said:
well mine broke trying to get it apart, so dont think it can be fixed.

i'm sorry to hear that. lucky you have a spare one. thx for letting us know. have you taken any pix by any chance?

stevexyz

Nov 15, 2011
CA
bioskyline;1780530 said:

thx alot for the pix. looks like it must be one of these gears in between was stripped. even if i could take it apart without breaking it, i still won't be able to get a replacement gear to fix it. so i guess i'd better just leave it as is. thx again for the info.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
yeah i think the speedo unit is made so you cant take it apart, probabaly so you cant tamper with the milage. and the gear you need to replace is probably the one thats rivited on.

stevexyz

Nov 15, 2011
CA
bioskyline;1780761 said:
yeah i think the speedo unit is made so you cant take it apart, probabaly so you cant tamper with the milage. and the gear you need to replace is probably the one thats rivited on.

rite, it probably was designed that way. thx for your help!

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
I do remember seeing a writeup on how to open up the odometer and adjust mileage so you can take a gauge cluster and match it to your car's mileage. I think it involved taking a small pick or two and separating the numerals then gently spinning them. Might have to go at it this way to get a working trip meter again.