Transmission Shiter Hitting not Lining up Right

Redsupra13

Dec 7, 2007
New Hampshire
I have an 89 toyota supra with the old square style mounts. I have the pre 89 swap brackets. The problem is that the transmission shifter control retainer is right up against the shifter hole. It actually bent the metal. Has anyone else had this problem???? i have searched on here and other forums. From my understanding the 1jz bellhousing is about an inch shorter than the 7m bellhosuing. That is the only thing i can think is causing this issue. Any information with be grateful. Even pointing me to the answer. Thanks in advance.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Redsupra13;1597062 said:
I have an 89 toyota supra with the old square style mounts. I have the pre 89 swap brackets. The problem is that the transmission shifter control retainer is right up against the shifter hole. It actually bent the metal. Has anyone else had this problem???? i have searched on here and other forums. From my understanding the 1jz bellhousing is about an inch shorter than the 7m bellhosuing. That is the only thing i can think is causing this issue. Any information with be grateful. Even pointing me to the answer. Thanks in advance.

Is your car an auto before the manual swap ?

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Redsupra13;1597226 said:
yes it was an 1989 7m na auto Trans. swapped trans to an R-154 with the NA. Now using it with the 1j swap.

I believe the auto has a smaller opening for the shifter to come thru. My Supra was auto, now R154, and barely made it thru the hole without hitting the back.. the rubber boot wouldn't fit without cutting though because of how close of a clearance it was.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Redsupra13;1597465 said:
Thank you for the information. Mine is hitting the front of the opening.(side closest to the dash.) I just dont want to cut the chassis.

Yup you have to cut ti a little bit, it's not a big deal.