transmission removal help!!

turbocrazy

May 10, 2014
crossville tn
ok so ive tryed finding info on how to change a clutch in a mk3 with a 7m turbo and i havent found much so i was wondering if anyone had a break down on how to do it. i have all the bellhousing bolts and starter bolts out i have the slave and fork out and all the wires out and i cant get the starter hump to go thru the transmission tunnel ive tryed rotating the transmission so the hump was down but still no luck ive also undone the motor mounts and still CAN NOT!! get it out. what am i doing wrong? if anyone has real advice please let me know.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
^^^ yes to unbolt clutch with trans in car.

I put a small piece of wood between sway bar and crank pulley. This keeps the engine in a more natural position as the transmission weight comes off engine. IE: the front of engine does not tilt down. I think it makes for a easier R&R of trans. Good luck.

turbocrazy

May 10, 2014
crossville tn
Ok thanks I didn't know you had to take the clutch off first I've never taken a Manuel trans out before and I couldent find much about the process.

turbocrazy

May 10, 2014
crossville tn
Thanks a lot guys got it out and ready for the new clutch and flywheel tomorrow are there any specifics to installing these I should know about or just torque to spec and install like removal?

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i probably shouldn't mention that i pulled my trans without removing the clutch. i know all you guys say it can't be done, but it came out like every other trans i've ever done.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Some wil but most wont. It can also cause problems installing it like that as well.

It can be done sometimes but its not the proper way of doing it. Just like as with most things on these cars following the manual will insure everything is done correctly.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
gsxr141;2006673 said:
i probably shouldn't mention that i pulled my trans without removing the clutch. i know all you guys say it can't be done, but it came out like every other trans i've ever done.

That's a good way to bend the fingers of the pressure plate.

turbocrazy

May 10, 2014
crossville tn
I know I'm gonna get off topic from the post but how does A/F ratio fluctuate when driving and idling? I haven't got to actually get on it yet because the clutch was fryed but going down the road it's at like 17 and about the same at idle but when I got a little boost it went to 13ish which is good but is it suppose to be lean like that when just driving along or should I be worried?