Transmission problem. Help!

7mgte_supra

The Hmong Guy
Nov 4, 2006
chico, Ca
Ok, so i've taken the transmission out and put in a new clutch kit. I'm trying to put my tranny back in but it wouldn't go in. It's hitting the frame and was wondering if there's a trick to it. Can someone help me asap? Thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
usually i put the pressure plate on the r154 first so its easier to get the c clip on.

did you loosen the engine mounts and tilt the engine back a tad? can you take pictures?

7mgte_supra

The Hmong Guy
Nov 4, 2006
chico, Ca
Well i've bolted everything to the engine already. The clutch, pressure plate and fly wheel and yes i have used the alignment tool. Well i have decided to tilt the engine back and we'll see what happen but thanks. Engine is still on mounts and everything.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
It's going to be possible that way, but barely. You need to remove the clutch and pressure plate from the flywheel and slide it onto your imput shaft. Once you get the transmission lined up, you can then bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel through the dust cover holes or whatever they're called. You're going to save time and frustration if you go ahead and do it this way now. Good luck.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Poodles;1513160 said:
R154 can't be installed with the pressure plate bolted to the flywheel with the motor in the car, follow the TSRM starting here: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=MT&P=6

I wouldn't say it can't, because I've did it twice............before I learned the error of my ways. We had to jack the front of the motor up a lot and it took forever, but we didn't know any other way at the time so we kept at it until it went.