Transmission doesn't shift

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
I just bought my first Supra a few weeks ago, and almost have it running. The only snag I'm running into now is this:

Yesterday, I tried to start my car to discover that the engine wouldn't crank. After a bit of troubleshooting, I seems as though the neutral safety switch failed. I followed the steps in this tread to temporarily bypass the switch which are:

"find the circular clip on the intake side of the harness its one of the circular ones that used t be attached to your tranny..

it should have 3 wires almost looks like a smiley face...

I I
_

kinda like that..... jump the two that are I I and that will jump the switch..."

The wires were a black/blue wire, and a black/white wire. Once I jumped those together, the car started and ran as expected; except that it stays in first gear, and doesn't up shift into any other gears. I also noticed that my speedometer isn't working. I have no idea what's stopping the trasmissiion from up shifting, and I don't know where to start to look. Would you say that my problem is with the safety neutral switch, speedometer, or do you think my problem is elsewhere?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
speedo is part of it since it's needs the speed sensor that is off the speedo cable in the back of the cluster to function right

fix that first and then move on

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
deabionni said:
So if the speedometer isn't working, then the tranny won't shift?
Correct. There is a speedo cable that runs from the transmission up to the gauge cluster for the speedo. Then, there's an electronic pickup in the speedo which sends a signal back to the ECU. Without the speed signal, the ECU doesn't know when to shift gears.

IIRC the speedo cable is one piece, (but it may be two, I'm not sure). The link you posted doesn't look right.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
^^^ Thanks for the help. The speedo cable in my link didn't look right to me either, so that's why I posted it here versus ordering it and hoping for the best.

Does anybody know of a good online store that has the cable, or am I stuck having to order one from the Toyota stealership?

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
With the OEM cable their is 3 peices. Their is 2 long cables and one small metal elbow like a 90 degree peice. I have the 2 long cables from a 87 Turbo supra with a auto trans if interetsed.