Transmission Diagnostic/Error Code# 63 - Anyone ever had this one?

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
The PooPrah: 87-NA-Automatic

My car has been shifting retardedly for the last few months, and I've been too busy to actually go down in my new garage and read the code - I just bought a house, got engaged - so my life has been really hectic lately.

The code that's being read is #63 - saying that it's a "Severed No. 2 solenoid or short circuit - severed wire harness or short circuit" according to the TSRM.

Where do I go from here? I'm guessing that either my TPS is screwed up, or it's my ECT Computer outright - as the TRSM talks about checking voltage at the ECT ECU. The last time I had "early shifting" and "no downshifting" problems it was the TPS. I got another one off a Cressida at the junkyard, wham bang boom, problem solved. This time, the car will downshift - but it seems like it's skipping either 1st or 2nd gear - when I put it into "2" it's really in 3rd gear, it seems. When it's in "D" that's really "OD" - and the "OD" on off button doesn't really affect the transmission at all, when depressed or released.

All of this crap just started happening since the last time I unhooked my battery cable - what gives? What's the first thing YOU would check? Anyone else ever pulled one of these codes? Maybe some connector somewhere is corroded? Recently the wires going to my starter were all corroded inside the connectors, and that stopped my car from starting. Thank goodness the starter didn't actually go, because that would have been a really hard job to replace it.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ My first place to check if your shifter isn't corresponding to your transmission.... Linkage. Can't tell you anything about the sylenoids or any of that jazz though.

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
^ My first place to check if your shifter isn't corresponding to your transmission.... Linkage. Can't tell you anything about the sylenoids or any of that jazz though.

That makes sense, and that's the first thing I did check - it's set to factory specs, with the little gold nub sticking just past the red rubber boot. Mayeb it got stretched or something...I should still screw around with it to see whether or not moving it in the opposite direction changes anything.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Also check your linkage from the transmission to the throttle body. If it is too loose or too tight you will have bad upshifts or downshifts between gears.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
No... not that linkage, that would be the kickdown cable. To check the linkage you'd have to get under the car. That wont change what gear you're in, that just makes it shift harder/softer depending on how much throttle is being applied.

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
ohhh okay. Is it easy to get at? I checked the harness at the ECT ECU and I tried testing it with my ohm meter according to the TSRM - and I couldn't get continuity jumping the S1, S2, SL terminals to ground.

I swapped out my TPS - that did nothing. I spent all Christmas day screwing around in the garage, with no results.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Its on the passenger side of the transmission. two round metal bars IIRC. Maybe only one, but I think it's two hooked together.

The easiest way i found to adjust the linkage is to put the car in drive, have someone get under the car, watch which way the linkage goes when you shift it into park, loosen the linkage bolt, slide it all the way to the direction that park is in and test it. Not per TSRM, but it works for me.

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
Thanks man, I'll have to take a look at this.

You'd think that if my linkage was out of whack, Park, Neutral, Reverse would also be screwed up. I don't get it. It seems to me like it's just missing 2nd. In drive, it goes from 1st to 3rd. In 2, it goes into 3rd gear. In Drive, it's really OD/4th.

If it is a bad #2 solenoid like the error code is pointing to...is that a big job to replace it? Would I have to drop the pan on the transmission? If you could get at it from the side or something, then that's no big deal.