Transformer - GTE in disguise!!!

kingsupra

Jul 14, 2006
d-town,colorado
:aigo: Hey everyone, i've been around for a little while now lurking and learning. And with the help of everyone here I've fianlly got enough courage to do my turbo swap!!!

ok so now i'll give everyone a little history, I've had my car for about five wonderful yet horrifing years. Me and my baby (the beast) have been through many ups and downs together. It's like my first girlfriend.

Ok so back around the time of my 14th b-day my dad called me and ask what kind of car I wanted. At the time the car in my head was a Celica GT-S of course its easier said then done. With my parents divorced I knew it was only a dream. He told me he bought a sports car. For some reason I knew it was a supra. Maybe it was in the magazine I was reading. On that very page, there laid a supra gracing the pages of super street. Although I had my hopes of an MK4 twin turbo :love: . My world was completely upside down when my dad showed up with an MK3 non turbo automatic...:3d_frown:

At first glance I saw a car I hated yet I loved. The sculpting and bodylines really grew on me. Although the car came a little beat up a few dings and dents on the exterior. Nothing major, except paint fade. But the interior was horenduos. Leather all torn out from everywhere. That first day I drove the car I knew it was mine. The low end rumble of the exhaust and the readily available low end power was something I never experianced before. And the fun you can have with snow!!! I was loving it.

Well here comes the tough love the first week I aquired my car I get the bird cage signal... Of course my being the young idiot kid I didn't know what that meant. Fortunatley at the time it was only a water pump gone bad. Unfortuanly it would lead to many cooling system problems later down the road.:icon_evil including a fatal rushing water sound behind the dash...

After replacing the water pump the car ran like a champ. I was able to go fast, get places, and race many cars and beating them. Although one little unoticed leak from the transmssion oil cooler. would later lead to a fried tranny. Of course being the young arrogant person I was, it didn't bother me until it was to late. Of course I fried my tranny. The smoke flew, and the engine rev'd but the car got no where. although it was fried, it amasingly work for a good while until I garaged it. Winter time, snow and rear wheel drive supra equals no traction.

After winter I was so excited to drive my car again. Although something was different this time around. I would step on the gas and my car would not move very fast. The engine would jsut spin. Strange I didn't understand any of it. And of course hard working engine no tranny help equals overheating. In the end equals craked radiator and the infamous BHG :cry:

Well now 5 years later, im a little more mature and a lot smarter. No more fried tranny, no more overheating. And its time for a turbo swap.

So one day i was shopping around on craigslist. IT post a 7M-gte for $400!!! :aigo: wait what!?!?! $400?!?! I had to check it out. Most it was legit The motor had rod knock and he's going 1jz. It's fine he throwns in another block, plus im getting extras including intake, lex afm, 550 injetors, intercooler, hardpipes, BOV, 60 trim ct-26, plus all electronics and vaccum lines. all that stuff is well worth $400. And I soon find out this is turbo4toy, a supramania regular's old car he jsut sold!!!

So, i have the parts and I have no idea what is going on, i have a block from one car that has been sitting for who knows how long. The pistons have a lot of carbon built up. and a head that came of a car with rod knock. It looked fine until i notice it freakign had cat fur all over it!!! I jsut decided to rebuilt for safe measure. So know I've done most of the easy part. The block is completely torn down and ready for machining. the head is still assembled. I dont know what I want to do. I'm wondering how hard it would be to dissamble and reassemble myself. i dont think i have all the right tools. and im trying to clean parts and check bearins and all the good stuff.

a look at the block
p668792_1.jpg

another view
p668792_2.jpg

top of the piston
p668792_3.jpg

a side view with skrits and rods
p668792_4.jpg
p668792_5.jpg

busted oil pump from transport....
p668792_6.jpg

CT-26!!!
p668792_7.jpg

intercooler
p668792_8.jpg

hardpipes
p668792_9.jpg

550's on fuel rail
p668792_10.jpg

lex afm and k&n filter
p668792_11.jpg

kingsupra

Jul 14, 2006
d-town,colorado
Ok so here are some updates on my build, finally got my block back from the shop the other day, took them long enough. they did a fairly decent job on the block, they were trying to get me to spend more money by getting new pistons and what not. although it would be nice. got the block hot tanked and deck .04. new sleeves were also welded in place

p682688_1.jpg

ok well i didnt take a pif of everything I did but here is were i sit with her, the crank was blanced, rods peend and new apr rod bolts, new oil pump!!!, new toyota piston rings. and here are some shots, i got everything back together in the block, i jsut have to wait for my head to do anymore work. so as i patiently wait i clean other parts, powercoat others, research, wait for more parts, and hope i win the lotto. haha
p682688_2.jpg

p682688_3.jpg

p682688_4.jpg

p682688_5.jpg

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
kingsupra said:
Ok so here are some updates on my build, finally got my block back from the shop the other day, took them long enough. they did a fairly decent job on the block, they were trying to get me to spend more money by getting new pistons and what not. although it would be nice. got the block hot tanked and deck .04. new sleeves were also welded in place

p682909_1.jpg

I dont see sleeves in there. The cylinders dont even looked cleaned or honed right.

Here are some examples of rebuilds and what the hone should look like.

Stock piston rebuild

Forged piston rebuild

Last edited: