Trans is stuck to bad block

Billybob9187

Mar 9, 2015
Stockton Ca
I purchased a 91 supra with an engine that wouldn't rotate. I have rebuilt a new 7mgte and am getting ready to drop it in but when I try to pull the R154 from the frozen 7m I can only get the engine to rotate 180 degrees and not 360. It seems that there are atleast 2 more bolts I can't see or get to attaching the flywheel to the pressure plate. I can see where on the block where a rod is trying to push through. I'm just stuck on how I can possibly remove the R154 from the ruined block now. I appreciate any help and I'm sorry there are no picks but I'm not sure they would help.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
there's two ways to remove the r154. in the car like you're trying to do where you remove the inspection covers. then unbolt the pressure plate. then drop the trans. or you can pull the motor and trans together then once out of the car yank the clutch fork out which will allow you to slide the trans off with the clutch still bolted to the flywheel. if you can't rotate the engine enough to get the 6 pressure plate bolts out then you have to pull the trans with the motor. or try to get the motor to spin. if i was doing what youre doing i would have pulled the trans and motor together. the only time dropping just the trans is easier is for a clutch or trans replacement.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
There's a broken connecting rod preventing you from turning the engine to get to two more bolts? Is the engine still in the car? Is the newly rebuilt 7m going into the same car?
If the engine rotates 180* then you should be able to get to all of the PP to FW bolts from both tran access panels.

Billybob9187

Mar 9, 2015
Stockton Ca
I did remove the engine and trans together since they both needed inspection. I will check and make sure the fork was released tonight when I get home. Thanks for the help guys!

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Shove the guts of the engine back into alignment long enough to rotate the engine 180° ?

Billybob9187

Mar 9, 2015
Stockton Ca
So found out there was 1 bolt we couldn't get too from lack of rotation. Also found out the we thought we were releasing the fork but it wasn't released all the way and it involved me slightly rotating the crank while my cousing kept pressure on the fork and Bammmmmmm it fell right out. Thanks for all the help! Appreciate it guys.