Trade or not

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
I have been offered a trade on a Supra and for now it is sort of tempting but then again not. Give some opinions and input that I may not be looking at.

I have a 87 automatic N/A and targa top. The body on mine I rate as fair becasue it needs the front nose brace and paint. No rust anywhere that I have found and it has a body kit already installed. I just recently added a 89+ 3 pc wing. The interior is in very good condition. Minor cracks around defroster vents and a few on driver door panel is all that is worth mentioning. Mechanically is in very good condition. No leaks and doesnt burn any fluids from anywhere. 120-130 PSI compression across all 6. Worst cylinder only showed 8% leak-down when tested.

I have been offered a 87 turbo automatic hardtop for trade. Exterior needs help. Rattle can black paint. Needs driver fender and door with hinges. Needs rear bumper. Will need all new mouldings as these were painted black as well. Interior is fair but needs help. Center console is trash. Both door panels have been cut for speakers below factory location. Cell phone was mounted to dash pad beside CC. The engine is one of those JDM "low mileage" drop ins we all see on ebay. The really bad part is the engine harness is pure spaghetti at this time.The harness that routes behind the timing cover across the valve covers, now takes up the space from the 3000 pipe to the fan,I saw at least 4 wires that were burned together. Some were cut and dangling. Others just scared me, really.

With my desire to go turbo (I already have a turbo engine and CT-26) and still needing lots of parts, this seems to be a fair deal on the surface. Its just some of the smaller, repairable details I am stumbling over.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
dont do it. your car is more sound. just finish collcting your parts to swap the 7mgte you have in. the car you describe sounds like it isnt even worth $1k. i wouldnt trade.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Keep what you have and do a turbo swap. Sounds like the 87 turbo auto is a great BHG candidate anyway... either way, I think you may well end up spending the money on a swap build if you keep or trade. Keep the nice body you already have and save the engine you want... Jumping on a craptastic turbo seems like a quick ticket to get nickled and dimed to death by a thousand little problems you wouldn't have had to pay for on your current supra.

Unless you -want- to go to a hardtop. That alone would make it make sense to get the car you want.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
keep your targa, with nice condition interior and go turbo. you already know everything about your car, I wouldn't want to jump in a (sounds to be) beater and spend a bunch of money fixing it up, imo.

The wiring harness is also real scary too, who knows what isn't hooked up right. unless you plan to find a complete new harness and start from there.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Pass. Keep your car, build your new gte motor. It will be more cost effective both in the short and long run.

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
dont do it, sounds like they've been doing some very shady work on the car. Thats just what is exposed, and I'm betting you'll find plenty other problems the more you dealt with the car.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
You guys ae echoing the thoughts in my head. Then that other voice tells me everything is there and most of the external engine is new (accordian hoses radiator hoses wires and temp sensors). The wiring harness doesnt scareme. Can always pick up a used harness and fix that. Like williamb82 said, I worry about hidden body/frame damage.

Perhaps he is willing to do a trade with cash on top of his car or let me swap my interior into his car. I would be willing to take a little rough but not all of it.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
sounds like an assload of work for a car you might later on worry about. are you sure the engine has new parts, and they aren't just shiny?

I dont like the sounds of it...a rattle can paint job? it better be damn good or you're going to have to repaint the whole car...did you ask him why he painted it?

mileage on chassis and compared to yours?

I dont know if this is your same situation, but for me I would much rather sell my car and save up to at least buy a near perfect shell and/or externally nice GTE that i could rebuild. needs a little work? sure..maybe, but at least you can be confident if it's got the original paint and no...molestation.

i dont know your priorities but for me i want a nice fun DD that has some bragging rights, and a rattlecan supra with a mystery engine and hidden mechanical surprises who-knows-where isn't my idea of fun.

Don't let your judgment be clouded by a "good" deal. I have come across plenty and there will always be others. If you plan it right, couldn't you sell your car for a couple grand and then put that down on a nice turbo, maybe together with some earned cash, then be happier?

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
wait a second, you have a nice GTE sitting around?

what parts do you need?? sell something and buy the parts! sell your GE! do you have another option for temporary transportation?

if your car is good for a swap, keep it, and do it :D It's got the mint interior anyhow..

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
NO.

You want to know why?

Because you already know exactly what your car needs. You have *no* idea what the other vehicle may or may not need!

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I am not trading my car for the turbo car. Am gonna offer him a few alternatives or I may just buy the car outright from him. WIll let everyone know how this ends.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
yay! so i'm hoping you are keeping your car right?

don't spend too much and get the engine looked over if you do end up seriously buying that turbo..