Tracing power to ecu

89turboguy

May 26, 2006
Denver, Colorado
Hey guys, Im not one to bother you guys with what seems to be such a simple trace and find problem. I have read many of threads with similar issues to no avail. I could really use your help.

I have an 89 supra that i swapped a motor in from a 92. Got everything wired up, bolted up, and drove the car for a day putting on about 60 miles. On my way home at steady throttle around 65 mph the motor without warning shut down. It will turn over freely but will not fire.

I have come to the conclusion, that i have lost power to my fuel pump, and I think ECU. I am getting power to Ign Sw and +B1, but i am not getting power to Batt, +B, and M-Rel, as well as no check engine light.

I have and will continue to check fuses, relays, grounds, and connections, The main thing I am asking help with from you guys is Tracing the path of power from the battery to the ECU. I believe from all my reading that the lack of power to Batt, +B, and M-Rel pins means i am losing the 12v before the ECU, but please correct me if I am wrong. I cannot for the life of me read the TSRM wiring diagrams and could really use a simple description of where the power starts, stops, and passes through before reaching the ECU.

Any help is appreciated, cheers!

89turboguy

May 26, 2006
Denver, Colorado
Thanks for the reply, I have checked the EFI fuse (good) and replaced the relay with a known working one, no change.

I have had enough fun with this car for a lifetime, lol.

I would also like to add that I am not getting power into the Diagnostics box at any pin. Tried jumping FP and +B1 when i found out there was no power there.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
If you really don't have power at the EFI fuse which also powers BATT (and B+ through the EFI main relay) then you need to work backwards, and there isn't that much backwards to look at.

Check to see if you have blown fusible link AM2. This also powers the ignition circuit. Failing that all that is left is the battery fusible link (2.0L) and the alternator fusible link ALT. Since you say you have 12V at IGSW then those must still be good.

Also, there is no way you can have power at +B1, unless you also have power at +B, so please check that again.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=036

89turboguy

May 26, 2006
Denver, Colorado
Great post, thank you.

You are correct about the +B1 and +B, there is no power to either.

EDIT, google answered my question on where to find those fusible links.

Let me give all this a shot and ill let you know what i find.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
If its not the AM2 fusible link, then check that you have power to the junction box by honking the horn, checking the dome light works, or turning on the headlights. Better, yet, do that first then check AM2.

89turboguy

May 26, 2006
Denver, Colorado
Alright, changed out AM2 and the ALT 100amp. Still not showing power. I am going to replace the battery fusible link (2.0L) tonight, though it doesnt really show signs of being blown. The horn, dome, and headlights do have power and work just fine.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA