Toyota thinks my Supra is a Land Cruiser

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Hmmm... Yeah, for the 80s and early 90s, the VIN decode was different.

1 Country of manufacture
2 Manufacturer
3 Plant #
4 Engine Code
5 Chassis designation
6,7 series

Thus JT2MA7
means "Made in Japan, by Toyota, plant #2, M block engine, A series chassis, generation 7..."

Obviously this has changed.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
DegreE;947360 said:
I know where the VIN is on the car, I'm asking where are you entering the VIN to get this info?

The link at the top of this thread? :sarcasm:

EDIT: I see how it may be confusing. Click on the fake red VIN in the link, it will allow you to type your's in there.

DegreE

Banned
Jan 11, 2008
Memphis & Miami
TurboFreak;947438 said:
The link at the top of this thread? :sarcasm:

EDIT: I see how it may be confusing. Click on the fake red VIN in the link, it will allow you to type your's in there.

Yeah I clicked the link but didn't see where I could enter the vin. Thanks

DegreE

Banned
Jan 11, 2008
Memphis & Miami
Just realized....

I work at a Nissan dealership and when I asked a service adviser to make a invoice for my car to put it on the lift, the print out said 4 door hatchback when he entered the VIN into the computer. I just lololed and thought nothing of it.

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
Jeff Lange;947362 said:
Doubt it.

Also, the only reason Land Cruiser comes up is because in the newer VIN's if the 8th character is a J it's a Land Cruiser. In the MA70's VIN, that character is used for if it's a Targa or not, so it has no relation.

Jeff

Thank you. Excellent clarifacation.

NocturnalKitty

May 22, 2005
Ca/Az
interesting. i never had any problems adding any of my cars (supra or not) to my insurance policy (previous or current insurance company). my ex had a run w/the cops one night shortly after he bought his FD (which he later trashed :3d_frown: ). they tried to tell him his VIN didn't exist yet he had gotten pulled over 3 days prior in the same county and was read his plates. he had recently purchased the vehicle and was still waiting on his plates. what a night that was. they ended up impounding the car. they claimed his license had been suspended since may of 1998 yet i stood right next to him at dmv shortly before this incident and handed him the money to renew his license. this all happened in early 2000 so they claimed he had been driving around w/a suspended license for nearly 2 yrs. turned out his license had been suspended (but not for nearly 2 yrs and i forget for what) and the dmv screwed up on his address so he never got the info on it and didn't get his plates for awhile.

STREETOPTIONZ

Toyota LOVER
Feb 1, 2008
Pennsylvania
www.myspace.com
Hey Mine came up as a
Year: Unknown
Make: Toyota
Vehicle Type: Passenger Car
Body Type / Drive Type: 5DR Door Van 2WD
Engine Type: 3MZ-FE
Series: 7
Restraint System / Grade: Manual Belts w/2 Airbags and Curtain Airbags
Model Line: Tacoma

Its a 90' MA70 non turbo Sport Roof, W58, red

I put in the info for my 08 Toyota Camry and it worked out just fine.

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
My title said it was a "subn" (i think) class vehicle when I bought it, the lady asked if it really was an SUV, so I showed her a picture and she changed it right away.