Toyota Canada cant even help me!

Quazaky

Jun 21, 2014
Toronto
hey guys really need some help i have a 1990 Toyota supra turbo and i need a power steering pump. Napa,Toyota dealerships and Toyota CANADA cant even figure out which pump is in my car. i need to know if it is a w/o Hydraulic Reaction Type Pump or w/ Hydraulic Reaction Type Pump.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I'm not sure about Canadian models, but the only difference to my knowledge in US spec MK3 supras is whether it has Progressive power steering or not. To tell if you have PPS, check the steering rack for a solenoid/2-wires coming from the control valve area. Check your rack, my guess would be it's non-reactive if you don't have PPS, and IS reactive if you do. (educated guesses, though)

PPS rack/solenoid picture:
pps-1.jpg

Hope this helps!

gats

Rebuilding... Slowly!
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, NSW
To the best of my knowledge, the only difference between PPS pumps and non-PPS pumps is the drive pulley diameter.
My car is an 89 with PPS, but I have recently replaced the power steering pump with one from an 86 IIRC and steering is fine! I simply swapped pulleys over...

PPS pump on left - 135mm dia. pulley
non-PPS pump on right - 150mm dia. pulley

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Just replaced my pump, swapped pulley on to new pump along with high pressure hose, vents and supply feed hose from the reservoir. Mine is an '87 though.

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
Yes, per Driftmotion, the difference is the pulley diameter. Getting a good one is hard, I went with 3 remanufactured ones and they did not last or were rebuilt pretty crappy. Finally went with Driftmotion and so far it's working good.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
There are 2 types of pumps, with or without PPS.

1986-88 No cars had PPS
1989-92 All Turbo cars have PPS
1989-92 N/A without Sport Package have no PPS
1989-92 N/A with Sport Package have PPS

If your car is a 1990 turbo, it does have PPS (aka Hydraulically Reactionary Electronic Control).

PPS does NOT necessarily make the pulley different, there are 2 different pulleys used on the Supra, but PPS doesn't always determine which one it has.

1986-89 N/A without PPS and 1986-88 Turbo cars have one type of pulley.
1989 N/A with PPS, 1990-92 N/A with and without PPS and 1989-92 Turbo cars have the other type of pulley, this is completely independent of whether or not the car has PPS.

Either pulley will fit on either type of pump.

Jeff

Quazaky

Jun 21, 2014
Toronto
So was able to order a PS pump from Rockauto in the US and installed it annoying power steering sound went away, but still have ZERO assist in the power steering and no matter how much i bleed it it the reservoir still bubbles a lot and sounds like gargling. does this mean i also have to do a Rack?