Toyota 5-Speed Transmission R154 drives forward when in reverse gear Read more: http

undacovalova

Jul 6, 2015
oshawa
Hey guys,

Having an issue with my r154 transmission which is in a custom build, but it is from a 88 Toyota supra turbo. The problem I was having was before installing the transmission onto the motor I had the transmission sitting on the bellhousing, which is a no no supposedly. After that it would not shift into any gear except reverse if i remember correctly. I read and read and heard of a trick which was to remove the shift light and push what i guess was the shift rod and push it to the rear of the transmission or towards the back of the car. Anyways it went into all gears after that, or so i thought. After installing the transmission onto the engine and installing the both into the car, the car will work in every gear, but reverse gear is 5th gear and makes the car drive forward, and 5th gear is neutral or wont go into any gear. I'm really clueless and would dread having to remove the transmission from the car again. Speaking to some guys it seems like 1st gear, 5th and reverse are all on the same shaft. I can get pictures of the setup of gears etc inside the transmission if that helps.

Please help me, really don't have the money to rebuild it.

Thanks,
Randy Rashid

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
What happened was the reverse idler gear fell into its position putting the trans into reverse and making the shifter useless.

What ever you did after that you need to undo. and out it back to stock as that's the only way it will work.

When that happens you need to pull the case apart and move the idler gear back to its resting position.

undacovalova

Jul 6, 2015
oshawa
hvyman;2053658 said:
What happened was the reverse idler gear fell into its position putting the trans into reverse and making the shifter useless.

What ever you did after that you need to undo. and out it back to stock as that's the only way it will work.

When that happens you need to pull the case apart and move the idler gear back to its resting position.

Do you think I can do that whiles the tranny is on the car ? Like removing the extension housing or whatever it's called?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You could. It will be easier with it out.

The shift fork detents need to be removed before the extension housing comes off as well.