Torsen questions

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
Sup people, second post but PM alot . . . mostly for the classifieds.

I got a couple of questions about stock JZA70 JDM torsens.

1 can you swap out the center/ring thingy? I have a 3.9 open diff, and it is a 4.1.

2 what is a fair price for one in good condition?

Thanks, Jago

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
IIRC, no you can't just swap out the center section. I'm pretty sure the drive shafts to the wheels are slightly different between the clutch types, and torsion LSD.

I could be wrong though.

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
Thanks, forgot about the output shafts. I've read up a little more and found the ring gear stays put and stuff so if I pull the lsd and shaft out of the new diff and put it into my stocker basically everthing should be fine.

Anyway, still would like to know a price though. I hate spending more than I should have paid.

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
Again sorry for the waste of space . . . I forget to just search the Classifieds.

Commonly, going for 2-300 + ship

Thanks for not flaming, cheers

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
What car came with an open diff and a 3.909 gear. I though that only the turbos up through 89 used the 3.909 and all turbos were LSD. After 89, turbos were 3.727 and still LSD.

as for swapping parts. IIRC, I also think that the output shafts are different between the Torsen and clutch type LSD's, but if you are wanting to put that LSD in your housing and use the 3.909 gear, then you need to take the ring gear off your old diff and swap it on to the torsen diff. Along with doing so, you will need to adjust the whole assembly for proper tooth to tooth contact.

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
Thanks GTE, when I negotiate price, I will tell them that you they are stupid :biglaugh:

CJ, I've gotta 91 Cressida so aparently they are 3.909 open diffs--canada Cressies came with LSDs with rearranged clutch packs for grandma driving.

I was actually thinking of taking the the necessary internals from the torsen diff and swapping it over to the open diff housing. May be I've got that part confused. I'll double check back on Toyotacressida.net

BTW

Cressida > Supra

:runaway: hahahaha . . . just gotta mess with yous

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
oh, thats right. sorry I forgot that the cressida's had a 3.909 gears. If your looking to put the 4.10 into the cressida housing, then you will need to swap the ring and pinnion as I am almost positive that they are both different from the 3.909 gears. In doing so, you will also have to totally re set up the gears. Because of mechining tolarances on gears, housing and bearings, diffs almost always need to be re shimmed to give proper heel and toe contact and the back lash would need to be adjusted.

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
Hmm. . . I not sure I understand. I wanna keep my diff 3.9. I was thinking just get the guts and output shafts (like this really expensive ebay one) Then shove all that into/onto my diff housing. but it looks like I have some more Research to do cuz I remember some negative comments about shimming . .. but my memory rots big time.

thanks for the help CJ, cheers

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Ok, I was confused there, you do want to keep the 3.909 gear.

you'll need the LSD itself then obviously and the output shafts. you'll need to take the ring gear off of your open diff and install it onto the LSD, install the unit into your housing and will just have to adjust the side rotators to give the correct bearing preload and back lash adjustment.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
A lot of people swap stuff with out readjusting everything correctly and it does work, but you are only asking for problems by doing so. If the tooth contact is not correct, it will work but it will accelerate wear on the gears and often causes wining noise.