To tune or not to tune?

uncmk3nut

Apr 12, 2012
wilmington, nc
Okay I have an 87 mk3 with a 7mgte, the mods; Apexi Power Intake, 2.5" exhaust, 57mm trim ct26, LC1 Air/fuel gauge, and I literally just installed the Driftmotion intercooler kit. okay, now the car is crapping all over it's self, low idle won't boost and I can't drive it. Anyway my question is the ecu not able to compute the new telemetry from the increased airflow and not giving the car enough fuel? What should I do, will a fuel controller fix the problem or some kind of piggy back system? I've No experience with tuning and I have no idea what equipment I need to by in order to tune it on the dyno, and I know a full stand alone will fix all the problems but I can't afford one of those for at least a year, so I need something that will fix it that is reasonably priced like a $1000 or less. I also have a Metal head gasket that was put in by National Speed, but all they say is get a stand alone over and over. What should I buy to tune the car so it will run? Or is the problem just not good enough fuel injectors?

uncmk3nut

Apr 12, 2012
wilmington, nc
yea i was thinking the same thing as it started to happen and rechecked everything I did and all the couplers are on good and tight and I looked and haven't seen or had a vacuum leak n a while b/c i changed most of the lines not to long ago. So you guys don't think fuel would cause these types of problems?

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
Like salty said, did you try cleaning the MAF? If you cleaned it wrong it could kill it. Check codes first and then unplug the MAF and try starting it. If it runs better that is your problem. You don't have any mods that should make it run bad.

Bmettie

Apr 27, 2010
Florida
Pull the EFI fuse for a min, this will reset the TCCS and make it re-learn/tune itself to the new conditions it is seeing.

uncmk3nut

Apr 12, 2012
wilmington, nc
I did all of that, reset the ecu, but know I'm not that much of a noob to try and clean the afm (no disrespect) but anyway. I got 3 AFM sensors and all of them want to idle low and cut off at stop lights, so do you guys think it is wise to get a MAFT Pro so I can switch to a GM sensor so it can handle the extra airflow?

mk3 salty

Oct 12, 2008
Albany, New York
uncmk3nut;2042877 said:
idle low and cut off at stop lights
Leaking BOV? Venting BOV to atmosphere? If the kit came with a BOV, i believe DM just uses a knock off, and we will hesitate\stall when Venting the BOV to atmosphere because that is already metered air being blown out of the charge pipes.

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
If it won't run as is a maft is only gonna aggravate you more. It should run fine without changing anything with the computer. You didn't mention whether you checked the codes or not? Are all the wires and sensors intact on the christmas tree? Could have bumped one and broke it while doing the turbo install.

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
Sounds like...

1. Something not plugged in.
2. Vac leak after the afm
3. AFM issue

Wilmington!? Hey your not toooooo far from me :)

Limp to me and Ill help you :)