To Sell Or Not To Sell.... My age old question.

RogueCustoms

Custom Painter/Fabricator
Apr 7, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
Some of you me remember me from a post I posted a couple months back about breaking my crank. I believe it was titled, I can't believe this is happening to me or something to that nature.

So here's my dilemma. I have a 1991 Toyota supra with black with grey interior and many upgrades upgrades. Since breaking the crank I have found it to be cheaper to buy a JDM 7M out of Japan rather then rebuild the motor I have. my question is, do I fix my 7M, go bigger, badder better or sell it?

I have to admit that although I truely love my Supra, I am tired of all the B.S. that I have had to deal with this car. My wife says not to sell it but I just don't know. I've been told it is the cleanest Supra in Oregon/ SW Washington. I just I know if its time to let go.

Glad to hear thoughts, opinions, and emotions.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I don't know what your goals for the car were, but if it is a true clean body car and nothing is wrong with it I would keep it. If you had plans to go with a clean higher horse build, I would keep the car, start with the fuel system, and have fun with a nice forged engine build with a nice billet turbo. This is just my opinion tho.
If you decide to keep the car, go with whatever engine you desire, and build for your goals.
I have only owned my car for about a year and a half, and I have decided with the time and money I have put into it, I will never sell it unless something drastic comes up that I will need the money for.

RogueCustoms

Custom Painter/Fabricator
Apr 7, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
My horsepower goals were around 550. I was sitting at around 425 before I broke my crank. And that's where my problems started. I've gutted the motor and will be selling all the internals/ block soon. The body is super clean. I paint cars and all. Interior is awesome, minus the front seats. Just feeling out some options

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
If you don't want to pick up a full block, you may be able to source a used crank from someone reputable on the forums that can mic it and make sure it is in spec before you buy it, so you don't have to spend the crazy money on a brand new OEM crank. That is if the crank didn't throw the rods or any other components out of spec at all when it broke.
For reference, I do remember seeing your thread about the crank braking, but I do not recall what upgrades you had.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
if you are tired of it as a project, consider parking it for awhile if you can. sometimes time away will give you time to explore your options and hopefully rekindle the passion for the car.

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
well, if you have everything that needed, as long as its put together RIGHT, there shouldnt be any worrys, and if the motor is the only thing, then that can be done in a few days of good work.. you might be surprised what a couple beers will do.. one second four wheels and sheet metal.. next thing.. fully built car.. try it sometime.. its awesome..

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
i always look at it like this;

to get a comparable performing/stylish car in todays new car market your into $50K+++

does owning a $10K-$20k classic car give me life satisfaction?

yes especially when men in minivans look onward with scorn... or when you leave the bank and there is 50+year old man staring in approval

but being a career auto-person, its tough when your hobby and job overlap, more of the same.....

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
#04;1902663 said:
but being a career auto-person, its tough when your hobby and job overlap, more of the same.....

This has been why I have been thinking I need to find another career route. I have been feeling like not working on my car much anymore because of this. I would love to be playing around and working on high performance vehicles, but in the automotive industry it is very difficult to get into a position at a race shop or somewhere that does the kind of cars that satisfy me. (especially in Iowa)

spoolme

supra4umsfreak
May 9, 2005
Roswell, NM
i work at carquest... i just searched for a crankshaft...
got a "proven Value" crankshaft located in Charlotte NC. stamped 6M.
walk in customer $385.96 without the $36 core exchange.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
If ur looking for inspiration, here's my piece...if my body/interior looked half as good as yours I'd rebuild my engine as many times as it took! That, plus everything u already have to rebuild, guess I don't see the reason you wouldn't? New crank and maybe bearings and go...that cud be done in a couple easy days. Make it ur new years resolution and join the rebuklding club again lol!..."I vouge to have my supra back in action for 2013". If u were any closer to me I'd come help u just to get u back in it!

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
spoolme;1903096 said:
i work at carquest... i just searched for a crankshaft...
got a "proven Value" crankshaft located in Charlotte NC. stamped 6M.
walk in customer $385.96 without the $36 core exchange.

That's cool to know, I live really close to Charlotte. Lol

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
#04;1902663 said:
Hence why I decided not to follow my "dream" of being a mechanic. Now, if I'm ever in a position that I can resto-mod old/unique (but not necessarily rare or expensive) cars, you bet your ass, I'm all over that to keep me busy. Winning the lottery is the toughest step it seems though, because I don't honestly see it being a good money maker. :p

emericaskater285;1902673 said:
...it is very difficult to get into a position at a race shop or somewhere that does the kind of cars that satisfy me. (especially in Iowa)
Try somewhere without any real cities. About damned near impossible where I live...

Ryan, I will say this much. In 7 years of owning Supras, there is only one thing I regret: selling my first one, a nice, clean 88. Wasn't fast, wasn't flashy. Handled good, and was fun to drive, not to mention looked good and ran well for its age. If you have a really clean shell... I'd say keep it. If you're feeling burnt out, get something else for a while. Of all the cars I've had since, only the 2nd Miata I had, and to a much lesser extent (more just because the LS1/T56 are a glorious combo), my SS have been anywhere near as much of a love affair as I had with my first Supra. ;)