to re-use MHG or to get a new one?

lppro

LP Performance & off road
Apr 21, 2007
Sugar Hill, Georgia, United States
so i had to pull the head off my 2j, i know people re use mhg's a lot but how is it done properly and would i be better off just getting a new one?
(btw the gasket only has about 1/2 a mile on it.)

thanks for the help!

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
the metal gaskets i've seen only have a coating on the outer sides, so even when new, they are only coated on the outside, not the inside, so i would only do the outside as long as the inside layers are clean from contaminents

toyota1515

Permanently Banned
Mar 20, 2007
atl GA
no HG is ment to be reused at all, exept for the copper ones due to the use of O -rings on both the head and block, plus most of the time they are use on hardblock filled blocks and welded shut heads were the water goes tru the front to the back of the head to cool the top of the chambers only just in race applications,

I wouldnt reuse any brand of HG at all do your homework dont be halfass and perform a good job the first time, you wont regret it!

PS. If for some reason you need a reson to go with a new HG, here it is, The grooves on top of any multi layer HG unbends annd goes flaty when torqued to specs just once and the heat and cycles of the engine acelerate that condition then when you take it out they are not stronger anymore they just loose the temple they are design for, thats why, yes some people reuse 'em and some with very good luck and results but i have seen a lot of falure in my years of race experince and of been a tech from guys who reuse em!

albert74

May 29, 2008
Florida
I would buy a new one, just to be safe. I've heard of people reusing them but i wouldn't. Just for peace of mind.