to go vvti or non vvti

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Well VVTi obviously is better. What will be included with the engine? The VVTi 2JZGTE will require a MAF and the correct ECU. Those can be hard to find in North America. But totally worth it for the sake of having VVTi :D I just got a VVTi swap done and I would recommend it. But also you would want to make it as easy as you can on yourself by knowing everything involved and knowing all the parts you will need. There is plenty of swap write ups and wiring diagrams out there to use.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If I were doing it again, hands down, I would go the VVTI route I initially intended to go.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Andy Kostecki;1921084 said:
hey guys im looking to order a 2jzgte for my 87 supra and i dont know if i wanna go with vvti or not? whats better easier swap?

The term better is a little subjective, but they both have their advantages. Just depends on your goals.

For the easier swap, there seems to be more information available on the non-VVTI, but you could go either way.

scmaluco

May 16, 2012
BayArea
SupraMedical68;1921554 said:
The term better is a little subjective, but they both have their advantages. Just depends on your goals.

For the easier swap, there seems to be more information available on the non-VVTI, but you could go either way.

a buddy of mine swapped a 1jzgte vvti into his 240sx and man let me tell you.. pain in the ass. all sorts of problems trying to get it to run right because of the throttle conversion since its fly by wire and usually the swap doesnt come with the sensors and pedal connections to keep the fly by wire... i say go non vvti easier, simpler, no dealing with maf and less electronics on the car to run right.. just my 2cents

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You just get a cable throttle body and open the plate till its at the desired idle speed. Instead of messing the the electronic one. Much easier.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I just did a 2JZGTEvvti swap. I'm not even a mechanic. It's easy enough. I have one code. Code 42 for the vehicle speed sensor because it's not hooked up. I don't want to hook it up because I don't want to be limited to 180km/h. But it does idle a little bit low with that code. Also I didn't have to buy an entire new throttle body. I just needed the 2JZGTE LHD throttle cable. Bolted right up. That's all. Just the cable.

RyanRok

Mar 19, 2013
New York
I know you pretty much made up your mind, but I was faced with this same decision and I am going VVti on a 1JZ. The DBW throttle isn't a big deal and if you have a stand alone, everything is a little easier. The VVti 1JZ makes peak torque a lot lower than the non VVTi and having experience with VTEC, why wouldn't I want another type of variable valve timing? makes the car sooo much more flexible. Just my 2 cents!